Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With over 35 years of experience, Cartel is considered one of Toronto's leading employment agencies servicing the legal community. Our clients are among the most distinguished law firms and our success lies in our applicants and their desire for the perfect career match. There is no fee to register with Cartel for any employment opportunity. We listen. We're honest. Just ask your friends. They'll tell you. Cartel. Give us a call; we really do make the difference. Position Title: Junior Securities Litigation Lawyer
Our Client is growing! Their Toronto office is looking for an Associate for its Securites Litigation department with a minimum of 1-3 years’ experience.
This lawyer will be assisting the team with:
- corporate litigation (shareholder disputes, oppression, proxy battles, etc)
- commercial litigation (contract and other business disputes)
- securities litigation (regulatory hearings and investigations at OSC and IIROC)
- class actions brought under the Securities Act.
The client seeks an enthusiastic lawyer who works well both independently and within our larger team of highly-skilled professionals. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and organized. The team is fast-paced and collaborative and the successful candidate should expect considerable responsibility on complex files—and will be a self-starter. They prize excellent writing, creative solutions and an entrepreneurial outlook.
If you have a passion for providing outstanding legal services and are looking to work in a great team environment, we’d love to hear from you. To discuss this role further, please submit your CV to:
ben @ cartelinc.com
Ben Higham B.S., JD., LL.M. Director of Legal Recruiting Cartel Inc. One, First Canadian Place, Suite 2550 100 King Street West Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5X 1A4 ben @ cartelinc.com
Government of Nova Scotia
Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada
Legal Assistant (Secretary 2), Permanent, TRURO
Competition # 17794
The Legal Services Division of the Department of Justice is the government’s law office, responsible for the provision of all legal services (excluding prosecutions) to the Province of Nova Scotia. The lawyers in the Legal Services Division provide legal advice and services on a broad range of matters to the Government and many of its agencies, boards and commissions. The professional support staff provide day to day support to the lawyers and senior management. The Legal Services Division consists of Solicitor Services, Litigation Services (including Child Protection) and the Registry of Regulations.
About Our Opportunity
We are recruiting a Legal Assistant for our Child Protection Office in Truro. The Legal Assistant is responsible for providing effective and efficient support for two or more lawyers.
In this role, you will be responsible for creating, tracking and managing Child Protection files. You will provide document preparation for child protection litigation files in the Truro office. The opportunity requires you to be able to adapt to shifting priorities, balance your efforts between providing legal assistance and administrative support, respond in a timely and appropriate manner to inquiries and to be organized in your day to day file management.
As our successful candidate you will possess a High School Diploma (Grade 12) plus a certificate/diploma from a Legal Assistant or Paralegal program and 3 years’ experience in a legal practice or an acceptable combination of education/training and experience.
You have experience and competency in an automated environment, with proficient and accurate typing, dicta typing, MS Word, and data entry skills. You have knowledge of legal terminology, procedures and documentation including the preparation of trial materials, as well as excellent research, analytical and organizational skills. Your excellent communication skills both written and oral giving you the ability to deal with the public, clients, lawyers and judicial support staff in a fair, caring and impartial manner communicating in a clear and concise manner while maintaining confidentiality and impartiality.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Experience working with and/or knowledge of the Children and Family Services Act and Nova Scotia Family Court would be considered an asset.
Successful candidates must provide a recent Criminal Records and Child Abuse Registry Check as a condition of employment.
Pay Grade: CL 21
Salary Range: $1,644.00 - $1,833.00 Bi-Weekly
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU).
If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For questions or concerns, please contact Competitions@novascotia.ca.
Click here to see how we won!
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
With over 35 years of experience, Cartel is considered one of Canada's leading employment agencies servicing the legal community. Our clients are among the most distinguished law firms and our success lies in our applicants and their desire for the perfect career match. There is no fee to register with Cartel for any employment opportunity.
We listen. We're honest. Just ask your friends. They'll tell you. Cartel. Give us a call; we really do make the difference.
Opportunity: General Counsel - Corporate Secretary
Term: Temp to Perm
Our Client, a quasi governmental body, is currently recruiting a General Counsel with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in Corporate law to join its team in Mississauga.
Preference will be given to candidates with significant corporate governance experience.
This position offers excellent opportunities for leadership, development, and mentorship. The candidate should have an enthusiastic and responsive approach to client requirements and excellent people skills.
Desired Skills & Experience:
* Implements the legal processes and practices required to protect the interests and obligations of the organization.
* Prepares and reviews various legal documents including contracts, licenses, leases, purchases and real estate transactions.
* Advises, negotiates, writes and reviews vendor contracts with the organization protecting the organization’s interests and ensuring clarity in agreements.
* Advises and assists HR in dealing with employment and personnel issues ensuring a fair and legally sound solution protecting the organization and its employees.
* Reviews regulations and policies to ensure they are relevant and appropriate, while allowing for the efficient and effective operation of the industry on an ongoing basis.
* Applies for registration or copyrights of the products, devices, processes and trademarks of the organization.
* Reviews, advises a Appeal Tribunal and other legal matters, to protect the interests of the organization and builds rationale to support the suggested approach.
* Examines legal and other information to determine the advisability of prosecuting or defending any legal actions.
* Advises and provides input to provincial partnership planning and strategies as requested by the General Manager and Board.
* Engages and manages external legal counsel as appropriate with respect to deliverables, timelines, fees and expenses.
Corporate Secretary (20%)
* Manages all Board and certain Committee meeting logistics, including coordinating, preparing and distributing Board and Committee materials, meeting agendas, notifications and meeting minutes for the Board of Directors and Committees.
* Attends all Board and certain Committee meetings, recording minutes, highlighting Board and Committee decisions and/or information items, actions and directives.
* Prepares all correspondence for the Board and Committees, including responses to enquiries or complaints directed to the Board and Committees.
* Oversees the planning of Annual Meeting, Fall Regional Meetings and Spring Policy Conference including the assembly of papers, agenda, meeting logistics, communication and follow ups.
* Supports the Board Chair in performing their role, including the provision of appropriate briefing materials to represent the organization to producers, regulatory and government bodies, the media, general public, etc.
* Approves the Board member expenses to ensure compliance with the organization expense policies.
* Promotes and facilitates open and full communication links and ensures an effective flow of information between the Board, its Committees, management and stakeholders.
* Supports and directs governance processes, including:
o supporting the Board in ensuring an effective Director nomination process;
o orientation of new Directors and ongoing Board training and education;
o developing and implementing guidelines, criteria and instruments to evaluate and enhance individual member and Board performance; and
o keeping Board members apprised of governance trends and developments.
* Makes appropriate arrangements and preparations for Board representation at appeal hearings before the Appeal Tribunal.
* Prepares the Annual Report on behalf of and for approval of the Board.
If you are interested, please send your CV in confidence to: ben @ cartelinc.com
Ben Higham, JD, LL.M. Managing Partner - Legal Recruitment
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
With over 35 years of experience, Cartel is considered one of Canada's leading employment agencies servicing the legal community. Our clients are among the most distinguished law firms and our success lies in our applicants and their desire for the perfect career match. There is no fee to register with Cartel for any employment opportunity. We listen. We're honest. Just ask your friends. They'll tell you. Cartel. Give us a call; we really do make the difference.
Opportunity: Legal Assistant
Our Client, a pre-eminent litigation boutique firm, is currently recruiting an Legal Assistant with a minimum of 0 years of relevant experience in Litigation to join its team in Downtown Vancouver.
You must be an LAA graduate. Job Description: Our Client is a growing firm and they require a Legal Assistant to join its Litigation Practice Group. This position offers excellent opportunities for leadership, development, and mentorship. This is an excellent opportunity for the entrepreneurial Legal Assistant. The candidate should have an enthusiastic and responsive approach to client requirements and excellent people skills. Desired Skills & Experience
0+ years’ experience in Litigation Law
Ability to work independently as well as on a team
Ability to handle a high volume of work
Knowledge of MS Office Suite and PC Law
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
If you are interested, please send your CV in confidence to: ben @ cartelinc.com Ben Higham, JD, LL.M. Managing Partner - Legal Recruitment