Bird Construction is a leading general contractor in Canada with a long history of service that has offices from
coast to coast. Bird’s clients include leading firms in the commercial, institutional, retail, multi-tenant residential,
industrial, mining, water and wastewater, energy and civil sectors. Today, Bird is a publicly traded corporation
with employees forming a significant shareholder group. This enhances the degree to which employees at all
levels commit to their clients. A hands-on approach to the business has given Bird an edge in being able to
make decisions quickly and to adapt to the requirements of their clients.
The Corporate Clerk / Legal Assistant is responsible for providing a wide range of legal clerk and administrative support to the company’s Risk Management team, which consists of 6 lawyers, a paralegal and an insurance specialist. This position offers an opportunity to learn and grow your career within the legal field.
Corporate Clerk responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Supporting the performance of the corporate secretarial duties for the company’s Board of Directors;
- Preparing and making Provincial, Extra-provincial, Industry Canada, CRA, Statistics Canada, SEDI, SEDAR, TSX and other corporate and securities filings;
- Maintaining and updating the corporate org structure;
- Preparing board and shareholder meeting materials;
- Maintaining an inventory and filing system of all legal forms and legal files including updating paper and electronic minute books, shareholder/director registers and general corporate records for all entities; and
- Ad hoc projects, as required.
Legal Assistant duties including but not limited to:
- Providing secretarial support to the Risk Management team;
- Arranging travel and coordinating Risk Management team meetings;
- Assisting in the preparation and editing of legal documents and reports;
- Providing litigation support, preparing legal documents, maintaining litigation and other files; and
- Handling incoming and outgoing correspondence.
The ideal candidate would demonstrate the following SKILLS & CHARACTERISTICS:
- Excellent time management, strong organizational skills and detailed oriented;
- Strong administrative acumen;
- The ability to work well with and for multiple individuals;
- The ability to work independently, be self-motivated and take initiative;
- Excellent people skills;
- Quick learner with a strong work ethic;
- Ability to quickly adapt to new tasks and responsibilities;
- Proficient writing skills (English);
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment; and
- Ability to work overtime when necessary – particularly around year/quarter end for board meetings.
Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in a
- Law Clerk Program or approved equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in fast paced legal environment is an asset;
- Experience in the construction industry is an asset, but not required;
- Good understanding of legal reference materials, procedures, and filing systems; and
- Strong computer skills using a wide variety of software including Microsoft Office products, Outlook and, as an asset, Diligent.