48512 - Toronto - Regular - Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Hydro One Networks Inc. is seeking a Legal Counsel (Litigation) to join our company, reporting to an Assistant General Counsel within the Law Department. This position is a full-time position located at Hydro One’s head office in Toronto, with travel outside head office to attend courts and tribunals in Toronto and throughout Ontario and to meet with various lines of business. Circumstances may require working from home at times.Roles and Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
- provide support to other lawyers or members in the department and report directly to the Assistant General Counsel
- provide support to the General Counsel
- prosecute and defend claims independently by and against the company in Ontario courts, in provincial offence matters, and before tribunals
- conduct research and provide legal analysis and advice in the areas of general litigation matters, working independently or with senior lawyers or law clerks
- draft pleadings, motion materials and facta, as well as pre-trial memorandums, examination for discovery material, mediation memorandums or other legal documents
- prepare for and attend examinations for discovery, motions, settlement conferences, hearings, mediations and trials
- manage independent carriage of files and/or work on files with senior counsel
- assist with legal, business, and strategic advice on litigation, regulatory and other legal matters to the internal lines of business throughout the corporation and its affiliates
- assist with review and research of legislation and regulations, as well as regulatory instruments issued by the Ontario Energy Board and other regulators
- anticipate client needs and proactively develop solutions to meet them
- mentor articling students and law clerks, as appropriate
- perform other duties appropriate for the scope of this position or as required by the business needs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Note : To apply for this position, please submit your updated resume and a tailored cover letter. Applications without cover letter will not be considered.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- A minimum of 2 years post-call experience as a litigation lawyer in a law firm or in-house legal department
- Experience with personal injury and property damage claims is ideal but not mandatory
- Able to collaborate and work with other lines of business, including corporate functions (e.g. Regulatory Affairs, Finance, Risk Management and Insurance, Customer Care, Accounts Receivable, and Real Estate), to advise on litigation matters, claims, legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to the company’s businesses
- Ability to work independently and as part of various teams
- Strong oral advocacy skills
- Sound judgment and legal reasoning, strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent attention to detail, strong negotiating, drafting, communication and organizational skills
- Possess excellent knowledge of Word, Excell, Caselines and Superior Court of Justice document management systems, and the ability to learn Hydro One’s document and records management system
- Demonstrated aptitude for developing working relationships with a broad range of professionals and stakeholders at multiple levels
- Ability to handle and work with confidential and sensitive information
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2023.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email email@example.com. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.Deadline: November 27, 2023
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here .