Reporting to the Supervisor, Legal Support Services (LSS), the Legal Support Services Assistant will act as document specialist with a focus on corporate and real estate documents supporting our Toronto, Ottawa and London, UK offices.
Hours of work are from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional pre-authorized overtime may be required to meet client needs. We are currently working a hybrid work arrangement.
At Fasken, success means:
- Having a strong client service approach – you’re ready, willing, and able to put our clients first and exceed their expectations
- Caring about one another – you possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build harmonious working relationships within your immediate team, across other departments in the firm, and the community
- Working collaboratively – you’re a self starter who values working in a collaborative team based environment
- Possessing exceptional communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff and third parties
- Approaching your work with agility and the willingness to learn and utilise new technology
- Being adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment while being organized and maintaining accuracy with a high attention to detail
- Demonstrating strong research, investigative and problem solving skills with the ability to exercise judgement to resolve issues
- Treating sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and diplomacy at all times
- Managing intake of work, logging incoming work requests and coordinating to meet deadlines
- Creating, transcribing, editing, formatting and proofreading a variety of legal documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Troubleshooting document issues and assisting with advanced document processing tasks such as mail merges, conversions, org charts, tables, graphs, excel charts, hyperlinks, bookmarks and cross-referencing
- Preparing closing books including bookmarking of documents
- Liaising with and providing exceptional client service to our Toronto, Ottawa and London, UK firm members
- Collaborating with and mentoring new team members in person and via Teams screensharing
- Assisting with other administrative tasks and assignments
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Advanced-level technical skills in MS Office 365 (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Adobe DC and iManage, etc. MOS Certification would be an asset.
- Completion of a post-secondary Legal Assistant or Law Clerk course
- A minimum of three plus years of previous law firm experience as well as a recognized certificate in legal office administration (large firm experience would be an asset)
- In-depth understanding of business and legal terminology
Diversity and Inclusion
At Fasken we are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive Firm. Our commitment includes ensuring equitable access to employment and equitable opportunities to advance and succeed at the Firm.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We always strive to provide an accessible candidate experience. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for eligible candidates.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon references and full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check, employment and educational verifications.
We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted on the legal job board.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.