Full Job Description
The successful candidate will provide general litigation and administrative support to 4 lawyers and will independently manage the daily activities of their respective practices. There is a dual reporting relationship to the lawyers in the share and the Manager, Legal Assistant Services.
This will be a hybrid role and the hours of work are from 9 am to 5 pm. Occasional pre-authorized overtime may be required to meet client needs.
At Fasken, success means:
- Having a strong client service approach – you’re ready, willing, and able to put our clients first and exceed their expectations.
- Caring about one another – you possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build harmonious working relationships within your immediate team, across other departments in the firm and the community.
- Working collaboratively – you’re a self starter who values working in a team based environment.
- Possessing exceptional communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff, and third parties.
- Being extremely accurate with high attention to detail.
- Being highly organized, able to prioritize work and consistently meet deadlines within a fast paced work environment.
- Treating sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and diplomacy at all times.
- Handle all administrative duties such as email and calendar management, coordinating meetings, making travel arrangements, etc.
- Prepare and maintain a bring-forward system, diarize court dates and provide appropriate reminders.
- Under legal professional supervision, prepare legal documents and correspondence according to precedents and/or instructions (draft letters, revise draft documents, and prepare document comparisons).
- Coordinate service and filing of proceedings with process servers, agencies and courts.
- Occasional time docket entry.
- Liaise with Billing Coordinators for the monthly production of accounts.
- Ensure all physical and electronic filing is organized and up to date on a regular basis.
- Occasional transcribing digital dictation.
- Delegate tasks to, and coordinate with, other administrative departments.
- Provide backup coverage in the absence of other assistants.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Completion of a post-secondary Legal Assistant or Law Clerk program.
- A minimum of 3+ years’ experience in civil and commercial litigation (large firm experience preferred).
- Experience in, or a working knowledge of, construction lien matters is an asset.
- In-depth understanding of business and legal terminology.
- Advanced understanding of the Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Solid computer and typing skills; proficiency in MS Office 2010, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Pro, digital dictation, Worksite DMS, ACL, Caselines etc.
Diversity and Inclusion
At Fasken we believe a diverse workplace is comprised of individuals with unique backgrounds, characteristics and qualities. An inclusive workplace creates an equitable environment where individuals are respected and where they are welcome. Fasken is committed to diversity and inclusion in all that we do.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We always strive to provide an accessible candidate experience. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for eligible candidates.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check, employment and educational verifications.
We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted.