The Legal Assistant provides a full range of complex administrative support to the District’s General Counsel. The job is accountable for the preparation, filing and safe keeping of confidential documents and communications in the employee's care and custody. In communication and conduct, interacting with clients, co-workers, and acting as liaison with outside legal counsel, public and outside organizations in a respectful, tactful, and effective manner is of the utmost importance.
The responsibilities of the job require a skilled individual who can assume responsibility to work effectively and independently and at all times ensuring that confidentiality and the key values of Edmonton Catholic Schools are demonstrated in the conduct of daily work.
- Prepare and manage a large volume of internal and external communications in a variety of hard copy and electronic form, including opening new files as needed;
- Locate and provide files, correspondence or any other document needed by General Counsel;
- Maintain General Counsel’s calendar and prepare support materials such as filed materials, meeting notes, presentations and agendas for appointments in advance;
- Compile materials in response to requests from General Counsel and other internal employees;
- Answer telephone calls from internal and external callers, advise as to General Counsel’s availability and schedule appointments as required;
- Make arrangements for the General Counsel and other staff members attendances at professional development conferences;
- Maintain various tracking documents with respect to the status of District litigation matters, insurance matters, Administrative Procedures updates, Corporate Governance documents, FOIP District files, publications, subscriptions, outstanding grievance matters, legal budget etc.;
- Provide administrative support to other offices on an as needed basis;
- Address requests from other departments to set up meetings, discuss queries or to identify where legal expertise is required;
- Assist in the preparation of the budget including funding allocations;
- Track and monitor the budget through reconciliation of monthly purchase card; updates and filing of resource materials, payment of accounts payable, petty cash and ordering of supplies;
- Generate and review various monthly financial statements and reports;
- Track and maintain General Counsel’s professional memberships;
- Resolve problems with suppliers and vendors;
- Manage the updates, posting and circulation of board governance documents and Administrative Procedures in collaboration with the Superintendent, Corporate Secretary, General Counsel and Assistant Superintendents.
- Completion of post-secondary Legal Assistant Certificate, plus extensive progressively responsible experience;
- Strong understanding in some or all of the following areas of law: education law, contracts, litigation, labour/employment law, real estate, corporate, corporate governance, family law;
- Knowledge of legal terminology, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) legislation and records management policies and procedures;
- Knowledge in government search systems: SPIN – Land Title searches (land registrations, discharges, liens, transfers); Corporate Registry searches (corporations and non-profit organizations); Personal Property Registry searches (writs, liens, encumbrances);
- Proficient in Microsoft software programs (Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Proficient in document management software including Worldox;
- Knowledge of financial policies and procedures and of electronic financial systems;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to effectively prioritize workload when required on emergent issues;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Dedicated, confident, trustworthy, loyal and consistently professional;
- Ability to work independently and with little supervision;
- Ability to take instruction, willingness to learn new methods;
- Attention to detail and the ability to work with numbers;
- Demonstrated aptitude for relationship building, respect for others and team participation.
Closing Date: June 25, 2019
Edmonton Catholic School District offers a comprehensive benefits program as part of its total compensation package, based on contract status.
Prior to employment, successful candidates will be required to submit Police Information Check and Intervention Record Check documents.
Candidates must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.