You will be working on a flexible hybrid schedule as part of Fidelity’s dynamic working arrangement.
Current work authorization for Canada is required for all openings.
Please note this will be a 12 month contract from October 2023 - 2024
Who We Are
At Fidelity Investments Canada ULC (Fidelity), we’ve been helping Canadian investors build better financial futures for over 35 years. We offer individuals and institutions a range of trusted investment portfolios and services - and we’re constantly seeking to find new and better ways to help our clients. As a privately owned company, we boldly embrace innovation in all areas as we continue to grow our business into the future.
Working with us means you’ll be part of a diverse and dedicated group of people who make a real difference for our clients and communities every day. You’ll have a wide range of opportunities to grow and develop your career in an inclusive environment where you’ll feel valued and supported to be your best - both personally and professionally.
What We Do
Reporting to the Director Legal Services, the Legal Counsel Sr will provide thoughtful, competent, and accurate legal advice to Fidelity.
How You’ll Make An Impact
Provide legal advice and support to the retail investment fund business, including
- Drafting, renewing and filing prospectuses, ETF/fund facts, and amendments to those documents
- Drafting and maintaining material contracts, including designated broker and dealer agreements, sub-advisory agreements, etc.
- Liaise with lawyers, the broader FIC business prospectus review team, board operations manager, board of directors, and internal and external translators as it relates to retail product offering related matters and disclosure
- Review and participate in the review of retail continuous disclosure documents, including resolving ad hoc issues as they relate to a fund’s management reports of fund performance and financial statements
- Provide general legal advice including in the following circumstances and acts as the Legal expert for Special Projects within FIC
- Review of fund investment as well as other corporate action documentation (e.g., subscription agreements for private placements)
- Provide support to the compliance department (e.g., compliance certificate review, 81-102 investment restrictions)
- Partake in reviewing corporate contracts, and operational issues
- Review and supervise review of marketing pieces, including website disclosure
- Provide consultation for special projects within FIC and partake in steering committees where applicable
What We’re Looking For
- Completion of the Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor degree
- Completion of Canadian Securities Law Course or IFIC Mutual Fund Course is an asset
- 5-7 years of experience as a legal counsel in the financial services industry either at a law firm or in an in-house counsel setting
- Licensed as a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
What You Will Bring
- Knowledge of corporate and securities law
- Strong analytical, negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective prioritization of tasks, ability to deliver high quality work under pressure
- Can effectively collaborate on projects and initiatives and build relationships within legal department as well as with business partners
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
Fidelity Canada is an equal opportunity employer
Fidelity Canada is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, family status, protected veterans’ status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected ground.
Accommodation during the application process
Fidelity Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process. If you require an accommodation, please email us at FidelityCanadaStaffing@fidelity.ca.
No telephone inquiries or agencies please. We thank all applicants for their interest, please be advised that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Why Work at Fidelity?
We are proud to be recipients of the following
- Canada's Top Family-Friendly Employers 2023 (7th consecutive year)
- Canada's Top 100 Employers 2023 (7th consecutive year)
- Greater Toronto's Top Employers 2023 (10th consecutive year)
- Canada's Top Employers for Young People 2023
- Venngo Healthy Workplaces Award Workplace Benefits Awards – Health and Wellness Program
- HRDC Best Places to Work 2023
- A Canadian Compassionate Company
- Great Place to Work on the legal job board (Dec 2022 - Nov 2023)
- Best Workplaces for Women 2023 by Great Place to Work