Join our small, fiery team on our mission to usher in the Bitcoin golden age.
Shakepay is on a mission to usher in a bitcoin golden age, where Canadians have access to bitcoin-friendly, secure, and rewarding banking services. When Shakepay launched in 2015, it quickly became one of Canada’s fastest-growing financial institutions. Backed by top venture capitalists having raised $44M+ and trusted by over one million Canadians and counting, Shakepay is reimagining banking for the digital age. People who choose careers at Shakepay are helping shape a future of financial inclusion, opportunity, and prosperity for all Canadians.
Building Shakepay into the leading financial company in Canada will require moving through complex regulatory frameworks, building high performing legal, compliance, and policy teams, and taking calculated decisions. As a General Counsel, you will play a key role on the executive team, work closely with founders and other execs to deliver forward-thinking legal direction.
- Lead the legal, compliance, and policy teams to align with Shakepay's company objectives (currently, a team of 8 shakers).
- Develop and implement robust legal risk-mapping, helping define the boundaries of acceptable risk to empower Shakepay in the creation of great products for our customers.
- Oversee alignment of public and internal communications with the company's overarching strategic objectives.
- Represent Shakepay publicly, acting as a bridge between the company and external entities such as regulators, industry counterparts, and outside counsel.
- Lead the compliance team through strategic planning and the execution of regulatory compliance, including CIRO/IIROC registration.
- Work in collaboration with other teams, understanding their roles and ensuring legal, regulatory, and policy requirements are communicated and upheld.
- Strong legal operator: Experience running a legal function at a mid-to-large financial services company or a partner at a law firm specializing in financial services.
- Business acumen: Ability to understand and navigate Shakepay's business objectives, balancing legal considerations with growth aspirations.
- Leadership: Proven track record in a senior legal leadership role, including building and mentoring teams.
- Relationship building: Established relationships with relevant regulatory bodies and industry stakeholders.
- Adaptability: Comfort and resilience in rapidly changing landscapes, showing aptitude in volatile environments.
- Licensed to practice law in Canada and a lawyer in good standing.
- Basic knowledge and interest in bitcoin.
Nice to have
- Strong track record of formulating public policy proposals.
- Considered a thought leader in the industry.
- Bilingual proficiency in French and English.
- Potentially life-changing stock options. We believe everyone at Shakepay should have the financial upside for building a generational company.
- Generous vacation time: we think time off is essential, and highly encourage it.
- Personal development: we're here to help you define and hit your personal career goals so that you can get where you want to be.
- Continued learning: every shaker gets a yearly budget to spend on learning.
- Employer-covered group insurance: health, dental, paramedical, disability and travel coverage to ensure you're at your best.
- Get paid in Bitcoin: choose to take a percentage of your salary in the hardest, soundest money the world has ever known.
- A collaborative and friendly team: we succeed together and we have fun doing it.
- MacBook: company-issued laptop to make sure you're doing your best work.
- Equipment stipend: every shaker receives a stipend to use toward setting up their home office.
We understand that potential can be just as valuable as experience. If you're eager to learn, grow, and contribute to the mission but worry that you may not have the “right” experience, we still want you to apply. We encourage applications from everyone, regardless of background and life experience. We’re firm believers that a little bit of slope makes up for a lot of y-intercept .
Please note that while all of our roles are remote, we are a Canadian company and will not be sponsoring visas for this position. You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply.