As an Associate Legal Counsel you will be an individual contributor with JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s dynamic Corporate & Investment Bank, Commercial Banking and other departments in Canada. Working across all lines of business in and into Canada, you will support the JPMorgan Chase’s traditional and innovative investment banking, lending, markets and securities services products, as well as providing cross-line of business advice in privacy, AML and general corporate matters and supporting the local team on enterprise-wide and departmental initiatives.
- Supporting Canadian Country Counsel team in advising Corporate and Investment Banking, Commercial Banking and other lines of business in and into Canada engaging with Canadian clients
- As part of Country Counsel team, manage day-to-day requests for legal advice, guidance, support, and interpretation from business, front-office and product legal specialists in Canada and other jurisdictions, including in respect of privacy, AML/sanctions, anti-trust and cross-border laws and regulations
- Canadian support for vendor arrangements, third-party sourcing contracts, data use issues and outsourcing
- Participation in development and implementation of regulatory compliance policies and procedures and internal controls and other processes, both within and cross-line of business
- Transactional documentation support, including review, providing comments and negotiation of terms of NDAs, client letters, attestations, marketing documentation and RFPs
- Supporting legal department initiatives including the Office of Legal Obligations, mapping legal requirements and responsibilities by legal entity, business line, function and providing daily advice on obligations
- Advising on regulatory change and managing Canadian Legal Regulatory Change program
Required Qualifications, Capabilities and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department at a large bank, broker or financial services company
- Bachelor of Laws/ JD Degree and a license to practice law in Canada
- Candidate should have a general knowledge of credit and lending issues, transactions and documentation and Canadian banking laws
- Excellent research and problem-solving skills and be willing to learn
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Candidate should have excellent skills in communicating with internal legal, compliance and business colleagues as well as external counsel, other dealers and financial institutions, administrative agents, etc., and in negotiating with any of these constituencies when necessary.
Preferred Qualifications, Capabilities and Skills:
- Ability to work in team environment and to prioritize work and effectively manage multiple issues at one time with limited resources
- Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with clients and partner with the business, tax, HR, controls, compliance, and other parts of the Legal Department to find solutions
All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete conflict of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment. Attorneys must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing or otherwise eligible to practice law in the jurisdiction in which the position is based.
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Our professionals in our Corporate Functions cover a diverse range of areas from finance and risk to human resources and marketing. Our corporate teams are an essential part of our company, ensuring that we’re setting our businesses, clients, customers and employees up for success.