At OREA, it is our goal to keep the dream of home ownership alive in Ontario. That’s why we have made it our mission to help Ontario’s 96,000 REALTORS® succeed in building stronger communities. We deliver on that mission by providing services that assist our members in their day-to-day business practices, like Standard Forms, Government Advocacy and Leadership Training. OREA speaks to a variety of audiences, including consumers, media, policy makers, real estate leaders, the provincial regulator, other associations and of course, Ontario REALTORS®.
We are currently seeking a lawyer who has expertise in administrative law, particularly with respect to the conduct of disciplinary proceedings, whether regulatory or contractual, corporate law/governance, contract drafting and negotiation and knowledge of the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) complaints, compliance and disciplinary (“CCD”) process.
Reporting to the General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer, the ideal candidate will have a minimum of five to seven years’ administrative law experience, particularly with respect to the conduct of disciplinary proceedings, whether regulatory or contractual, corporate governance and knowledge of other issues of relevance to not-for-profit organizations. A good understanding of real estate law, privacy law, excellent communication, presentation, and analytical skills, and be a member of the Law Society of Ontario in good standing.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Administering an internal member discipline process and providing member education regarding said process.
- Contract drafting, review and negotiation.
- Assist in providing legal advice and guidance to the Ontario Real Estate Association’s Board of Directors.
- Assist in risk management and legal compliance for the entire organization.
- Assist in providing legal advice and guidance in general operational matters and employment law matters for the entire organization.
- Assist in providing legal information and resources to Ontario Real Estate Boards and Ontario REALTORS®.
- Conduct legal research on issues/new legislation as may be required.
- Assist with the drafting and interpretation of the OREA by-law.
- Act as recording secretary and counsel to the OREA arbitration hearing panel and arbitration appeal hearing panel.
- Liaise with outside counsel on any litigation matters.
Qualifications and Skills
LL.B./J.D. Law Society of Upper Canada Member (in good standing).
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience with corporate governance and other issues of relevance to not-for-profit organizations.
- Expertise in administrative law, particularly with respect to the conduct of disciplinary proceedings, whether regulatory or contractual.
- Good understanding of Real Estate Law and Privacy Law
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, critical thinking skills and proven ability to balance competing demands in a dynamic environment.
- Proven leadership and project management skills.
- Collaboration, articulation, commitment to excellence.
- High standards for accuracy, responsiveness, integrity and discretion
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and sometimes on very short notice.
We work on award winning-campaigns, world class events and some of the biggest issues (i.e. housing/real estate) in Canada
- We offer a competitive salary, defined pension contribution plan and awesome health benefits
- We offer a hybrid work-from-home policy with flexible work schedules so our staff can spend more time with family and friends and less time commuting
- We help our staff grow their skills to advance their careers through individual professional development budgets
- We provide staff with the best technology and full-time support
- We offer a very competitive vacation package to all staff and additional time off throughout the year for birthdays, moving, bereavement and more
Interested applicants should submit their application on or before June 19, 2023. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in OREA but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
OREA is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices. If you require accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process via the legal job board, please notify the Human Resources Department.