Drive your Career!
We love our cars, but it’s the people behind them who make them what they are. To market, sell, and service great cars, we need great people. That’s why at Volkswagen Group Canada, we are passionate about our cars and our brand and foster this same passion and drive in our people. We know that the right people in the right positions can do incredible things, and we love making that happen.
We are currently looking for a Sr. Counsel – Commercial and Privacy Law at our Corporate Offices in Ajax, ON
Reporting to the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, the successful candidate will provide cost effective services to Office of the General Counsel and the business team on matters in the rapidly-evolving areas of privacy and data governance, competition law, and commercial matters. As the Company and the manufacturers develop new products and functionalities that raise issues of privacy and data protection and consumer protection, this position will work closely with the relevant business areas and manufacturers to advise regarding legal requirements (e.g. privacy breach reporting, consumer terms of services and consumer facing order flows and collateral – all driven by new digital subscription based services – including modifications to such consumer services going forward). In addition, this position will be responsible for implementation of data governance policies.
**This is a flex hybrid model, requiring 2 days in the Ajax office**
Under the direction of the General Counsel, advising the business regarding:
- The negotiation, review, evaluation of contracts and other obligations and advising management of the degree of legal risk assigned with such obligations before they are entered into;
- Sales, intellectual property and marketing matters (including review of advertising and marketing materials);
- Consumer protection and competition matters (including ecommerce initiatives);
- Dealer matters (including dealer agreements, facility programs, assistance programs, and service circulars); and
- Other corporate and commercial matters as required.
- Corporate governance matters and ensuring that risk management and insurance activities are attended to effectively and efficiently; and
- Undertaking additional corporate and commercial matters as required and assignments based on upon specialist knowledge or experience.
- J.D. or LL.B and admitted to Practice Law in Ontario.
- 4+ years’ experience practicing as a commercial, privacy, or competition, lawyer at a large law firm and/or in-house environment.
- Experience advising on privacy or commercial matters.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills - interpersonal and written
- Ability to work independently and as part of team (with a flexible, versatile and collaborative nature).
- Expertise advising on competition matters considered an asset.
- Automotive experience is preferred but not essential.
- Bilingual (Fr/En) is considered an asset.
- Flexibility for travel local and global travel as required (up to 25%)
What you’ll get in return:
- A flexible and collaborative team dynamic
- Opportunities for development
- Opportunities to participate in exciting company events that give back to the community
- Competitive employer paid benefits, pension and overall compensation package
- And much more