We currently have a Regular Full-Time opportunity for a Legal Counsel (Corporate) in the Legal Services department at our Bayview campus.
Hours Of Work
Weekdays: Days; 8 hrs; As per schedule
Summary Of Duties
As a member of the Legal Services team at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (“Sunnybrook”), the Legal Counsel (Corporate) will report to Senior Legal Counsel (Corporate) and will be required to work both independently and collaboratively within a busy client environment with a high volume of work. The focus of this role includes, but is not limited to the following:
Corporate Legal Work
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and providing advice on a broad range of commercial agreements, including information technology agreements, education affiliation agreements, service agreements, funding agreements, collaboration agreements and licenses;
- Reviewing the business terms of agreements and working directly with various departmental operations directors and hospital senior leaders to ensure terms are compliant with the law and Sunnybrook policies and guidelines;
- Working collaboratively with privacy and security offices to ensure requirements are incorporated into contracts and other business documents ;
- Supporting Corporate Planning and Development on development and construction related matters;
- Legal advice on public sector procurement agreements, in collaboration with third party sourcing specialists
- Working with Provincial government agencies on the terms for new funding agreements to support hospital and health care system initiatives;
- Legal support for strategic initiatives in the health sector and with other health organizations including Ontario Health Teams and Alternate Level of Care patient flow;
- Providing advice respecting compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements; and
- Providing advice to internal clients on legal implications of plans, policies, actions and other specific matters.
Medical Legal Advice
- Researching, preparing documents and providing advice on a variety of patient medical legal issues including hearings before the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and the Consent and Capacity Board;
- Advising on complex patient issues including interpreting the Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act, Substitute Decisions Act and other legislation affecting the patient/hospital relationship;
- Advising on complex physician issues including interpreting the Public Hospitals Act; and
- Providing advice respecting compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements.
Privacy And Freedom Of Information (“FOI”)
- Providing legal advice to Privacy Office on complex privacy and FOI issues including interpretation of PHIPPA, FIPPA, federal and US privacy legislation.
- Law degree from a Canadian law school or equivalent;
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario;
- Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience gained in a leading law firm or in-house corporate legal department; and
- Fully proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent drafting skills, particularly in dealing with a broad range of legal documents, policies and procedures;
- Must be able to manage multiple and competing demands and prioritize tasks appropriately and effectively;
- Enthusiastic, energetic, results-oriented;
- Exceptional inter-personal and communication skills, with effective group presentation skills and stakeholder engagement abilities;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member;
- High level of composure with the ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion and tact, with the ability to work well under pressure and to maintain strict confidence;
- Excellent research skills with demonstrated strategic thinking, creative problem solving and planning combined with exceptional tactical implementation and project management skills, with good business acumen;
- Ability to identify legal issues, research and analyze complicated solutions and develop and recommend practical and informed solutions in an effective and efficient manner; and
- Experience working in a hospital setting and/or the broader healthcare industry is a definite asset.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume (in one document) quoting 223862 to:
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
To apply, please click "Apply for Position" at the bottom of this page.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is strongly committed to inclusion and diversity within its community and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Please be advised that in order to be eligible for employment at Sunnybrook, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days ago. Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.