Senior Counsel will report to and assist the Managing Counsel, North America Accident & Health (A&H), with a myriad of legal issues, focusing on business development support and providing legal advice to Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada. In this role, the Senior Counsel will advise on business transactions, draft and negotiate agreements, advise on new product and marketing initiatives, conduct legal research, review product offerings, identify and help mitigate new or emerging areas of risks, and manage/provide support on specific legal topics to ensure compliance with federal and provincial laws.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team who will embody the Legal and Compliance department culture and competencies listed below:
- We deliver high quality work product, services and solutions that demonstrate understanding of the needs and requirements of our business partners and support achievement of team goals.
- We adapt to changing business needs and environments through a proactive, flexible approach that achieves results and strikes the proper balance among all constituencies.
- We demonstrate character, integrity and professionalism, both within a team environment in the Legal & Compliance department and in fulfilling our responsibilities to our business partners.
- We build collaborative, trusting relationships with team members and business partners through superior communication skills, empathy and respect.
- We independently manage work responsibilities through commitment, dedication and accountability, and display an on-going commitment to self-improvement.
- Counsel and communicate effectively with internal business clients regarding a wide range of matters.
- Collaborate with compliance and product development to provide legal advice and counsel with respect to A&H products (e.g., business travel, leisure travel, multinational accident, study abroad, participant accident, occupational accident, hospital indemnity, credit card enhancement insurance).
- Perform legal research and provide advice on a variety of A&H legal, regulatory and compliance issues.
- Collaborate with Chubb government affairs colleagues and industry groups to evaluate new laws and industry trends that may impact A&H.
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of agreements (e.g., producer, marketing, claims, vendor, and data privacy/non-disclosure agreements).
- Provide legal support to the business and regulatory teams in coordinating, researching, and responding to insurance regulators with respect to reports and complaints.
- Provide support to the business in litigation matters in coordination with inhouse litigation counsel and outside counsel.
- Periodic travel to attend meetings with business and legal teams, as needed.
- LLB / JD degree with a minimum of 7 years of legal experience.
- Knowledge and previous experience in the legal and regulatory environment related to financial institutions, ideally with experience in accident, sickness, and life insurance.
- Strong business acumen and strategic thinker, ability to provide consultation that is compliant while helping to meet business goals.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks, handle high volume of matters, and manage business needs/priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong influence skills, with the ability to build collaborative relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Enthusiasm for working in a team-oriented, dynamic environment.
- Detail-oriented, organized, responsive and deadline-driven.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Fluency in French and English is an asset.