Mejuri is a direct-to-consumer approach to buying jewellery for the modern woman. We are about making luxury a habit – disrupting the traditional jewellery industry to make fine jewellery affordable and empowering women to purchase for themselves. Series B funded, and one of the fastest growing global digital brands, we are backed by strong VC investors such as Natalie Massenet’s Imaginary Ventures, NEA and Felix Capital.
We focus on perfecting every customer touchpoint, creating the best digital and in-store experiences and content that is conversational and engaging. We are a team of designers, writers, technologists and strategists, and we are looking for someone special to join our team and help us make luxury fun and accessible.
“Mejuri redefines personal jewelry decisions” – Forbes
“75 per cent of Mejuri’s customers are women buying for themselves, and 30 per cent make repeat purchases each month. Among those filling their virtual baskets? Lizzo, Selena Gomez, Margot Robbie and Oprah Winfrey.” – British Vogue
Mejuri is looking for a General Counsel to build and lead a global legal and regulatory compliance function. Our General Counsel will be a strategic partner to internal and external stakeholders. The General Counsel will be responsible for working with all internal departments on the drafting, execution, negotiation and management of contracts related but not limited to IT, real estate, vendor contracts, customer contracts, insurance matters and employee relations. They will be the main point of contact for and work with all external attorneys to manage copyrights and trademarks, and any finance related matters as necessary. The General Counsel will be responsible for ensuring all legal compliance including that which is related but not limited to international expansion, data and privacy laws, including GDPR, labeling, employee safety and consumer protection, consulting with external counsel as needed. They will oversee compliance with corporate governance, establishing the prudence of defending lawsuits and prosecuting. They will be a team player who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Advise on all securities, intellectual property, compliance, litigation, employment law, leasing and real estate, corporate and commercial law matters on a global level.
- Lead regulatory compliance, insurance and risk management.
- Draft, review, and negotiate all contractual agreements, including NDAs, MSAs, SOWs, securities offerings, service agreements, partner and vendor agreements, employment and contractor agreements, leases, mergers and acquisitions related documents, and licensing agreements.
- Oversee and manage external counsel in multiple jurisdictions.
- Ensuring our organization complies with laws and regulations at all times, in all geographies.
- Advise our executive team on the best course of legal action as situations arise or reach the potential to occur
- Assess and manage risk prevention
- Advise on legal implications or procedures for business development initiatives and strategy planning
- Support employment practices including drafting of contracts, as well as providing guidance during recruitment, employment and termination activities as needed.
- Keep up-to-date on global changes to legislation, regulations, and relevant legal news
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to executives across all aspects of the business.
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action
- Base your decision making process on ethics and integrity
- Deal with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas
The successful candidate will have:
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Current member in good standing with a Canadian Law Society
- 10 years of total experience in corporate law from a top-tier firm or company, with a preference for at least 3 years of experience as in-house counsel.
- Self-starter and comfortable in a fast-paced high-growth environment.
- Strategic thinking and business acumen
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with Ethics, Litigation, Risk management, Compliance.
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigation, employment, intellectual property law, etc)
- Experience building and leading internal legal teams while optimizing external counsel
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
Things we consider an asset:
Mejuri is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mejuri welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- Experience in eCommerce, retail, or consumer packaged goods industries
- Experience in multi-jurisdiction and operations of a Canadian or U.S multinational corporation.