The Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan (FCAA) protects consumer and public interests and supports economic well-being through responsive financial marketplace regulation. FCAA enhances consumer protection through licensing, registration, audit, complaint handling and enforcement activities pursuant to various provincial statutes.
The Legal Branch of the FCAA is seeking two Legal Counsel (1 permanent full-time, 1 permanent part-time) to provide comprehensive legal services to the Consumer Protection, Insurance and Real Estate, Consumer Credit, and Pensions Divisions. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel’s practice will extend to all subject areas that touch upon the client programs’ operations, including administrative law, civil litigation, contract law and corporate law. Experience in pension law will be considered a strong asset, though not a requirement.
Main duties will include:
- Conducting legal research and preparing legal opinions/memoranda on issues arising from any of the program areas administered by FCAA;
- Advising on and assisting with investigations of possible breaches of legislation or other regulatory issues;
- Providing legal advice and support to hearing panels in respect of matters under adjudication; and
- Advising with respect to interpretation of legislation administered by the client programs and, as part of a team, developing proposals for new or amending legislation.
Candidates must have:
- A university degree in law and membership or qualification for membership in the Law Society of Saskatchewan;
- Comprehensive knowledge of contract law, corporate law and administrative law principles;
- Experience in conducting civil litigation, regulatory proceedings or criminal prosecutions;
- Knowledge of public policy formulation;
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including the ability to practically apply legal concepts to fact situations using judgment and discretion;
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with strong verbal and written communication skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Competitive compensation. The salary range for this position is $83,867 - $151,598 per annum;
- Comprehensive health benefits including life insurance, medical, dental, extended health plan, and long term disability;
- Employee pension plan;
- Access to gym and pool facilities at a reduced rate;
- Professional development opportunities;
- Positive workplace, upbeat corporate culture;
- Career growth potential; and
- Excellent work-life balance.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
To join the FCAA team, please visit our website at: fcaa.gov.sk.ca/about-us/fcaa-careers. Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and a sample writing with their application. This may be a short anonymized research memorandum, a legal writing, or a case comment.
Closing Date: June 11, 2021
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.