Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA, R3C-3P1 Calgary, AB, CA, T2R-0E4 Edmonton, AB, CA, T6E-6A8 Vancouver, British Columbia, CA, V6J-4Y3 Toronto, ON, CA, M2P-2B7
Company: Wawanesa Insurance
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
Working under minimal supervision, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for structuring, negotiating and executing a variety of commercial agreements and financing transactions. Responsibilities will also include working closely with external stakeholders and assisting with general corporate legal matters such as advising internal clients on day-to-day business issues, as well as larger corporate initiatives.
- Supporting merger and acquisition activities, including share and asset transactions
- Providing transactional support as a member of a cross-functional team responsible for the organization’s insurance broker lending and investment activities (including reviewing due diligence materials and preparing term sheets, commitment letters, security documentation and ancillary agreements);
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements;
- Researching and analyzing complex issues to provide pragmatic advice and recommendations to clients throughout the organization;
- Drafting policies and procedures in consultation with internal clients and in accordance with regulatory requirements and best practices;
- Providing training and education at all levels of the organization;
- Developing and maintaining specialized legal knowledge and expertise relevant to the organization’s activities, updating processes and precedents as required;
- Liaising and coordinating legal services with external counsel; and
- Acting as a legal resource in all matters delegated by the General Counsel
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3-8 years’ post-call experience in-house or at top tier Canadian law firm, with a focus on transactional practice;
- A law degree (LL.B. or Juris Doctor) from an accredited law school and eligibility to practice in Canada
- In addition to commercial matters, experience in HR, IP and Insurance Law an asset
- Strong commercial acumen, including a thorough understanding of financing and secured lending;
- Sound drafting and negotiation skills, as well as familiarity with a variety of commercial agreements (particularly loan and security agreements);
- Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail;
- A creative and innovative approach to complex legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives;
- A cooperative, enthusiastic and team-oriented attitude, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues at all organizational levels;
- A proven ability to work independently and proactively with a wide variety of stakeholders having competing deadlines in a fast-paced and changing business environment; and a passion for providing unparalleled client service;
- A high degree of professionalism, outstanding business judgment and unquestioned personal ethics, integrity and responsibility.
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.