Syncrude is looking for an experienced lawyer to join our legal team as Legal Counsel. Reporting to the Manager - Law (Operations), this role will provide legal advice and support on a wide variety of topics, with a particular focus on regulatory, environmental and occupational health and safety matters.
- Providing practical legal advice and solutions to various internal business groups including: Strategic Planning, Regulatory Affairs, Community Relations, Environmental Affairs, Process Safety, and Personnel Safety.
- Supporting the legal department's initiatives and key objectives, including compliance strategies and business unit training, and awareness of relevant legal topics.
- Supporting other legal team members, including the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, including developing solutions for various other legal matters that may arise.
Experience and Education:
- LLB/J.D. from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Alberta, or eligibility for immediate membership
- Minimum 7 years of regulatory, environmental or occupational health and safety experience at a law firm or as in-house counsel
- Experience as legal counsel within the natural resource sector would be an asset
- Familiarity with key federal and provincial legislation relating to the development and operation of mines and minerals
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, balanced judgment, and a demonstrated ability to make sound decisions within a legal context.
- Effective communication skills, including an ability to understand the business's needs and concisely communicate complex issues.
- Ability to adopt a collaborative and service-oriented approach to work with the legal team and internal business clients on challenging topics.
- Willingness to ask questions and seek understanding to complete tasks with a comprehensive picture of all relevant issues.
- Ability to contextualize legal risk and allocate time and resources appropriately when advising on processes and actions required to mitigate those risks.
- Must be eligible to work permanently in Canada
What We Offer
- Highly competitive base salaries
- Flexible benefit plan options
- Company matched saving program
- Defined benefit & company matched defined contribution pension plans
- Employee development
- Generous paid time off
- Relocation Assistance
Who We Are
There's something about the Syncrude culture that sets us apart. It's an energy and collective spirit, a commitment to do better, and having the heart to be industry leaders and leaders in our communities. We call it our Syncrude Side. Join us, and we'll help you discover yours.
Syncrude is one of the largest operators in Canada's oil sands industry. With more than 55 years of responsible development, Syncrude is known for pioneering many of the industry's processes, including an expanding suite of technologies to improve environmental and economic performance.
Syncrude is situated in the heart of the Boreal Forest and is proud to call Fort McMurray home. Our community offers the amenities of city living along with world-class recreational amenities and outdoor pursuits. Pursue your goals by exploring the many exciting career opportunities with Syncrude.
To learn more, including information on our competitive compensation and benefits program, please visit: https://www.syncrude.ca/careers/why-syncrude/
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.