We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions so you feel empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and feel truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
We’re on a mission to build the relationship-focused bank of the future and we’re looking for the passionate collaborators, innovators, advisors, and leaders who can get us there. Our distinct culture is built on a shared commitment to do what’s right for our clients, our people, and our communities, and we strive for excellence in everything we do. Because life at CIBC is not only what you do, but how you do it.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
With about 50 lawyers working from offices in Toronto, Montreal, New York, London and Hong Kong, CIBC Legal manages legal outcomes by providing a full range of legal and transactional support services to CIBC’s businesses worldwide.
As the bilingual Senior Counsel, you will provide legal support to CIBC’s Personal Banking and Commercial Banking businesses and other areas of the bank as appropriate from our Montreal office.
How You’ll Succeed
- Legal Advice – Provide business-focused Quebec law advice in a dynamic role that includes legal support across a range of subjects including consumer protection, banking regulation, mortgage and brokerage regulation, as needed.
- Strategic Regulatory Analysis and Relationships – Develop a point of view to deliver judgment-based, strategic Quebec regulatory advice as well as forming positions on emerging issues and trends impacting banking generally. Support relationships with Quebec financial services regulators and industry associations on behalf of CIBC Legal Department when required.
- Working collaboratively – Partner with lawyers within the Legal Department, the banking industry and with multiple business stakeholders across the enterprise and functional groups including Retail Operations, back office support and mortgage advisory channels in Quebec. When required, oversee and manage the relationship with outside counsel as well.
Who You Are
- You can demonstrate experience in delivering practical, business focused advice on regulatory and legislative interpretation issues at a top tier law firm or in a large in house legal department for at least 7 years and will possess strong analytical, leadership and communication (oral and written) skills in French and English. Expertise in the following areas is required: Quebec consumer protection law, personal lending, financial services regulation and related documentation. It’s an asset if you have had exposure to litigation in Quebec and commercial lending.
- You’re a certified professional. You must be a qualified and current member of the Bar in Quebec.
- You give meaning to data . You enjoy investigating complex problems, and making sense of information. You're confident in your ability to communicate complex and detailed information in an impactful way.
- You act like an owner. You thrive when you're empowered to take the lead, go above and beyond, and deliver results.
- You look beyond the moment. You make decisions and take actions that will make a difference today and tomorrow. You proactively seek new opportunities to define what's possible.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect : Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact Mailbox.email@example.com
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit