HSBC Bank Canada, a subsidiary of HSBC Holdings plc, is the largest and leading international bank in Canada. HSBC serves customers worldwide through an international network of around 3,800 offices in 66 countries and territories in Europe, Asia, North and Latin America, and the Middle East and North Africa
We help companies and individuals across Canada to manage their finances through three global business lines: Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, and Retail Banking and Wealth Management.
It’s this global connectivity that you will find yourself inspired and collaborating with colleagues not just locally but also across continents and cultures.
About Global Functions
HSBC’s Global Functions play a vital role in supporting the bank’s Global Businesses and offer a broad range of career opportunities in areas from Legal, Risk and Finance to Human Resources, Sustainability, Marketing and Communications. Our operational and functional teams around the world help HSBC’s Global Businesses to operate efficiently and effectively on a day-to-day basis. They also focus on controls and governance to reduce risk and protect the Group’s reputations.
Global Legal plays an important role in protecting HSBC’s reputation, helping to safeguard the organisation by providing robust and comprehensive advice on legal issues and risks. Our lawyers advise senior management and the Global Businesses and Functions. They offer a range of legal skills, jurisdictional experience and practice specialisms across all the countries and territories in which HSBC operates.
Key Objectives for Senior Legal Counsel:
The Senior Legal Counsel, Retail Banking, provides practical and risk based legal advice, guidance, and support to Retail Banking and Retail Business Banking in order to ensure that exposure to legal risk is managed.
- Provide counsel and legal support on a variety of legal matters including matters that are quite complex or have potential for significant material impact on the organization.
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical and sometimes complex and/or specialized legal advice to Retail Banking and Retail Business Banking
- Be pro-active in the provision of legal support and in advising the business promptly of material legal developments and their implications.
- Ensure the Associate General Counsel for Retail Banking is fully briefed on major issues arising in relevant business area and major legislative changes in area of expertise.
- Perform legal research and keep abreast of legal and regulatory developments that affect the division’s business, and share this information through the business.
- Retain and instruct panel firms and other appropriate external parties as necessary.
- Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with all team members within the Legal Team and Retail Banking and Retail Business Banking
- Participate effectively as part of the Legal Team.
- Share legal knowledge and best practices with legal colleagues.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications:
- Minimum 7 years or more proven and progressive corporate legal experience, or equivalent.
- Must be currently qualified to practice law in Canada and the relevant province.
- Strong advocacy, negotiation, interpersonal, organizational, legal research and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to quickly apply abstract concepts of law and make quick, innovative decisions to resolve problems.
- Broad skill set and sense of curiosity to take on wide ranging challenges.
- Accurate and concise drafting skills.
- Ability to respond in a timely and effective manner to management and staff with sound legal analysis.
- Ability to work proactively and show initiative, judgement and discretion.
- Ability to defend the Company and Group affiliates from claims and advocate their interests while maintaining their reputation for honesty and integrity.
- Proficiency with personal computers as well as pertinent mainframe systems and software packages
- High personal standards, self motivation and ability to work with limited supervision.
HSBC Proud In 2018, HSBC Bank Canada was named one of the “Best 50 Corporate Citizens” in Canada by Corporate Knights magazine. HSBC was also the first company to be recognized as a top performer in gender diversity within the financial services sector, as part of a new Corporate Knights initiative to recognize leaders in this space. Join HSBC, and benefit from the following:
- Career Development: Within your current role, as well as Canadian and international opportunities
- Company Reputation: Offering prestige, strength, and longevity
- Business Growth: Underpinned by our drive, and the highest banking standards
- International Connectivity and impact: Build global relationships and be a part of international initiatives
- A diverse workforce: Reflecting our belief that diversity of thought, background and perspective make HSBC a stronger organization
- Corporate Sustainability: We build our business for the long term by balancing social, environmental and economic considerations in the decisions we make.
Please apply via the Clear Legal Job Board link below. Thank you.