Taylor Janis LLP is a boutique human rights, labour and employment law firm, with offices located in Calgary and Edmonton. Our Calgary office is seeking a Legal Assistant for a full-time position, to start as soon as possible. We currently have 7 lawyers in our Calgary office, and we are growing in terms of both lawyers and assistants. Our office has a collegial, professional atmosphere, and we are passionate about our work.
This position involves providing administrative and litigation support to 2 or 3 lawyers, and some reception duties.
The duties and responsibilities for this role include:
- Drafting, preparing and typing correspondence, pleadings, etc;
- Arranging for court filing of documents;
- Preparing and maintaining a diarizing system for court dates, questionings, meetings and appointments;
- Entering and maintaining the lawyer’s daily time in PC Law, including generating accounts on a monthly basis and accepting client payment on accounts;
- Tracking the lawyer’s billing statistics, including retainers received and overdue/unpaid accounts;
- Processing all relevant incoming and outgoing mail;
- Scheduling appointments and meetings and preparing documentation for those appointments and meetings;
- Maintaining client files in paper and electronic form; and
- Providing assistance with reception duties on an as-needed basis.
The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- A minimum of two years experience as a legal assistant/paralegal;
- A legal assistant certificate or diploma;
- Experience in civil litigation and/or employment law would be an asset;
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-based environment; and
- Strong organizational skills, with an emphasis on attention to detail.
We would thank in advance all candidates who submit their application, however we will be unable to respond to all queries. Those selected for an interview will be contacted directly. Compensation details to be discussed at interview if an interview is granted.