Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
We are looking for a junior paralegal to supplement our Labour and Employment Team in Montreal. Candidates should have between two and five years’ experience in a diverse labour and employment or litigation practice and should have experience in supporting internal investigations, conducting legal research, preparing exhibits and authorities for hearings, responding to employee inquiries regarding privacy matters, organizing and coordinating large privacy related projects, overseeing foreign counsel and coordinating between them and internal clients to ensure proper advice and representation of Air Canada overseas, preparing documents for counsel to file with tribunals and governmental authorities or deliver to opposing counsel, and delivering training on a wide range of privacy and labour and employment matters. The successful candidate will be supporting and joining a team of experienced labour and employment law lawyers, paralegals and support staff. The successful paralegal job candidate will be responsible for various tasks related to labour and employment law matters, including:
- Drafting and reviewing correspondence and hearing documents (briefs, witness statements, written arguments, motion records, etc.) and coordinating comments and sign-off on these documents from various internal branches at Air Canada.
- Assisting responsible lawyers in the preparation of materials for hearings and presentations.
- Liaising with internal clients to prepare filings with governmental authorities in Canada and abroad and coordinating the flow of required documents.
- Investigating, formally and informally, the background to inquiries, complainants and grievances and assist counsel in collecting the documentation and testimony to counsel Air Canada properly.
- Preparing training materials and delivering training to internal clients on labour, employment, human rights and privacy matters.
- Liaising with foreign external counsel and internal clients to facilitate securing advice on labour and employment matters overseas
- Creating, maintaining and updating the tools and templates used by the Labour and Employment team, and, where appropriate, automating those tools and templates.
- Working with internal clients, Human Resources and external counsel to securing immigration authority (ex.: work permits, permanent residency, etc.) for Air Canada employees to work in Canada or foreign jurisdictions.
- Assisting with the in-take of new matters by performing initial review of files and preparing them for review by counsel and working with clients to resolve straight forward matters
- Obtaining instructions from internal client on the approach to overall strategy regarding files and to specific decisions as the file unfolds;
- Assisting in preparing witnesses for hearing;
- Preparing drafts of questions for examinations and cross-examinations of witnesses;
- Assisting with and/or conducting mediation to resolve disputes;
- Providing guidance to clients on Air Canada’s approach to certain recurring kinds of questions, for example, reasonable notice periods;
- Reviewing of company policies for consistency;
- Obtaining budget information from outside counsel when mandate is outsourced
- Formal paralegal training and a paralegal certificate with formal paralegal training and practical experience or extensive experience in this area.
- A minimum of two years of relevant experience as a paralegal in labour and employment law practice at a major law firm or major publicly traded corporation.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, in English and French. A writing sample may be requested.
- Strong customer service skills
- An evidenced facility with Adobe, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, QuickLaw and other online legal research tools.
- Desire and ability to pursue continuous learning.
- Willingness to ask questions and to seek information as needed to complete projects and tasks.
- Strong attention to detail and rigorous.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
- Strong time management skills, including the ability to work independently and to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Project management skills, including the ability to adhere to strict project deadlines while being flexible as necessary in response to changes and delays.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others, ability to work as a team member and to interact successfully with people at all levels of the organization, including attorneys, clients and outside counsel.
- Demonstrated professionalism, discretion and the ability to handle confidential information.
- Drive for results and urgency and motivation towards achievement.
- Fast and efficient work habits.
- Capacity to work under pressure, displaying composure in stressful situations.
- Tenacity and resilience to persevere towards goals, despite challenges and obstacles, maintaining enthusiasm through to the attainment of the goals.
- Integrity, including a strong work ethic is assumed. A successful candidate will be one who takes pride in his or her role as a representative of Canada’s international airline.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates. Please apply via the Clear Legal Job Board.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.