Purpose of Role
The Commercial Litigation Paralegal will be an integral member of the Commercial Litigation Group working closely with lawyers and other members of team to provide the highest level of client service, while having the opportunity to develop their skills as part of a dynamic and successful national team.
The ideal candidate must be a team player, have a strong work ethic, a desire for continuous growth and thrive when working in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will also have extensive experience working in commercial litigation.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Electronic organization and maintenance of files
- Preparing client reports at regular intervals and engaging in direct client communications relating to ongoing matters
- Identifying, requesting and monitoring lists of required productions and information from both the client and opposing counsel
- Preparing document memoranda/ briefs, charts, chronologies and summaries of documentary evidence for use on discovery, pre-trial and arbitration/trial
- Preparation of list of documents
- Reviewing and summarizing discovery transcripts; managing undertakings and refusals; preparing discovery reports to clients
- Drafting and compiling motion materials, books of authorities and Court and Arbitration material;
- Use of electronic document management software (Relativity) to search for key information and preparing binders containing relevant information
- Compiling statistics and information and performing research tasks
- Liaising with and retaining expert witnesses
- Trial/Arbitration preparation, including preparation of required notices and subpoenas;
- Maintaining a bring-forward system to ensure team members have everything required for any scheduled meetings, discoveries, mediations, arbitration hearings or court appearances
- Cooperating within the team to assist with overflow, urgent deadlines and back-up coverage
Key Competencies Required
- Paralegal Certificate or Diploma from an accredited institution
- Relevant experience in a similar role with extensive knowledge of litigation legal procedures and statutes including familiarity with the rules for various courts
- Advanced knowledge of international arbitration proceedings is an asset
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel 2010
- Professional demeanor and strong organizational, investigative, fact-finding, and problem solving skills
- A team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills for liaising with clients, lawyers and colleagues
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative as required
- Flexibility, good judgment and initiative with a demonstrated ability to pay close attention to detail
- Ability to handle pressure and to remain calm in working within time constraints
- Availability to work extended hours when necessary
If you have an interest in this position or know of someone who may be suitable, please forward a current resume to Bria Taker at BTaker@blg.com by June 14, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our respectful workplace policies, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. At BLG, valuing diversity and inclusion is key to a respectful workplace.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and Partners are not eligible for consideration.