If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees operate the facilities, deliver the services and run the programs which make a difference in our community. The City's Law Department offers unique opportunities to work on challenging and diverse files. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
As a Contracts Lawyer, you will be working directly with a City of Calgary business unit to provide legal support to internal clients and the project team on a large City procurement and construction project. The position has a significant degree of responsibility and autonomy within a team-oriented environment and primary duties include:
- Negotiate, draft and review various types of contracts and agreements, including procurement documents, construction contracts, confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements and various agreements with utility providers.
- Provide timely legal advice and opinions in the areas of procurement, construction, regulatory and on other related matters that may arise.
- Provide a high quality of client service while dealing with numerous time sensitive requests.
- Work proactively to seek innovative solutions to issues and solve legal issues.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.), Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) or equivalent degree from a recognized institution and be an active member or eligible for membership with The Law Society of Alberta.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly related experience in the areas of commercial contract and procurement law.
- Proven self-management skills, high energy and self-motivation.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and conflict management skills.
- An ability to identify and raise issues of concern and recommend effective solutions and the ability to thrive in a team environment are also essential.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Business Unit: Law Department
Position Type: 2 Temporary (1 up to 24 months) and (1 up to 36 months)
Location: 800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience
Lawyer 2 $88,307 - 148,297 per annum
Lawyer 3 $98,270 - 174,316 per annum
Days of Work: This position typically works a 5 day
work week, earning 1 day off in each 3 week cycle.
Contracts / Commercial Law