Established over 30 years ago, Medcan is a global leader in assessing clients' overall well-being and inspiring them to live well. Medcan has a comprehensive range of diagnostic assessments, which, in combination with innovative programs tailored to specific needs, are designed to successfully reach improved health outcomes.
Over 80 physicians and specialists, alongside a broad roster of complementary health care disciplines, provide health and lifestyle management services on site and by video consult for individuals, families and organizations. Our team of 700+ staff see clients virtually and physically from our downtown Toronto and Oakville clinics.
Established over 30 years ago, Medcan is a global leader in assessing clients' overall well-being and inspiring them to live well. Medcan has a comprehensive range of diagnostic assessments, which, in combination with innovative programs tailored to specific needs, are designed to successfully reach improved health outcomes. Over 75 physicians and specialists, alongside a broad roster of complementary health care disciplines, provide health and lifestyle management services on site and by video consult for individuals, families, and organizations. Our team of over 700 staff see clients physically and virtually from our downtown Toronto and Oakville locations.
Medcan is looking for an experienced and well-rounded in-house legal counsel to join the company on a full-time basis as Corporate Counsel. This role requires a well-rounded lawyer with expertise in the highly regulated healthcare industry, commercial and consumer contract drafting and negotiation, medico-legal issue and litigation management, and employment law to collaborate with and support the business and expanding clinic. Strong communication and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to collaborate in a dynamic and fast-paced environment are crucial to be successful in the position.
- Draft, negotiate, and review vendor, private client, physician, and corporate contracts.
- Draft and review policies, consents, and protocols.
- Support Human Resources with day-to-day issues and review more complex employment law contracts, letters, and arrangements.
- Oversee medico-legal issues and inquiries such as clinic operating procedures, risk management, occupational health and safety and consent to treatment. Daily problem solving and communication with clinic, patient support center, and clients.
- Collaborate internally to ensure compliance with applicable privacy laws and, as necessary, assisting with incident response.
- Act as a subject matter expert internally on legal inquiries coming from all areas of the business, including liaising with external counsel when necessary.
- Developing templates for Medcan’s standard contracts, and standardizing review processes.
- Investigate, recommend, and maintain a knowledge management system, including consideration of contract management.
- Keeping current with legislative changes and working with the business units to implement changes to ensure compliance, including areas such regulatory compliance and consumer protection issues.
- 8 to 10 years’ experience in a mix of commercial contract law, medico-legal law, employment law
- In-house legal counsel experience, experience in healthcare or hospital setting preferred
- JD or LLB, member of the Law Society of Ontario in good standing
- Experience in drafting and interpreting contracts
- Strong problem solver who works well under pressure to solve complex problems
- Independent, works well on their own for extended periods of time
- Strong people skills and communication, ability to communicate effectively with vendors, clients, and internal stakeholders
- Detail-oriented, good analytical experience, balanced, and level-headed
This is a full-time position reporting to the Chief Legal Officer. The work schedule is hybrid with two days in office per week.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an initial interview will be contacted. No phone calls and no agencies please.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility:
Medcan is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity, diversity, and inclusion. We continuously work to provide a fair opportunity for all staff to participate and succeed at work, creating a sense of belonging, respect and a place that values the unique perspectives and lived experiences of each member of our team. We recognize the value of diversity in attributes such as age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation and attractionality, ethnicity, race, colour, nationality, family and marital status, ability, religion and belief, freedom of thought, and any other characteristic that makes you unique. If these principles resonate with you, we encourage you to apply!
If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise your Talent Acquisition Specialist if you require accommodation.