Assistant Vice President, Legal Counsel & Compliance Officer (12 month MAT Leave contract)
We care for humankind – and that starts with our people
Our greatest strength lies not in what we do – but how we do it. It’s the unique individual behind every piece of work who matters the most. Our people make Munich Re a global success. Working at Munich Re gives us access to the depth, breadth, and mindset we want in order to develop our full potential. That’s why a career at Munich Re is much more than just a job. It’s an invitation to be your very best and make a positive impact on the world.
Are you someone with strong leadership capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal, external and global stakeholders? Do you possess strong property & casualty work experience? As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will utilize exceptional interpersonal and influencing skills across all levels of the organization.
We’re looking for our next Assistant Vice President, Legal Counsel & Compliance Officer. Could It Be You?
You have your Bachelor of Law (LL.B.) (or J.D.), and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada. In addition, you have a minimum of 5 years of legal experience, and a ideally regulatory, re/insurance, corporate or transactional experience.
Your primary responsibility will be providing corporate legal advice to internal clients in a variety of areas, including: (re)insurance, compliance, distribution, and market conduct. You will also assist with ensuring and reporting on the company’s compliance with applicable legal, regulatory and Munich Re Group internal requirements.
Need more details? Keep reading…
· You will provide sound and practical legal advice to internal clients, review and draft a broad range of agreements, reinsurance treaties, insurance policies, internal policies, procedures and guidelines.
· You will collaborate with internal clients to ensure that legal and compliance risk is identified and appropriate action taken.
· You will work closely with the Risk Management group to address legal and compliance risk manage, review and report on the quarterly reserving process for Munich Re of Canada operations.
· You will identify and recommend to the SVP, compliance processes/procedures/measures required to address evolving regulatory compliance requirements. This includes drafting/revising/maintaining any required policies and procedures.
· You will support the maintenance of the company’s Regulatory Compliance Management systems together with the Corporate and Legal group.
· You will, with the support of the SVP, assist management to maintain the company’s compliance “tone from the top”.
· You will be responsible for monitoring, and as necessary, coordinating the compliance activities of other departments.
· You will support the SVP with her Corporate Secretarial responsibilities
· You will report to and inform the SVP & General Counsel regularly, as directed or necessary, on the operation and progress of all legal and compliance work and initiatives.
So are YOU our next Assistant Vice President, Legal Counsel & Compliance Officer? You are if…
· You have a minimum of 5 years legal experience, as well of knowledge of and experience with relevant legislation and regulation; ideally your background features an emphasis on regulatory, re/insurance, corporate, or transactional experience.
· You have excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to adjust communication style to audience whether internally or externally.
· You have exceptional computer skills including Microsoft Office particularly, Outlook, Word and Excel.
· You have exceptional analytical, problem solving, and decision making skills, planning and time management skills.
· You are motivated, highly organized, with demonstrated accuracy and an eye for attention to detail
· You have a high degree of flexibility and adaptability to changing environment and situations with an ability to work independently and function well under pressure
· You have a solid ability to develop and nurture working relationships within Munich Re North America and within the broader Munich Re Group.
· You have demonstrated fluency in English; fluency in French (oral and written) is an asset.
In addition to an exciting job opportunity, we offer the following…
· You will be exposed to challenging projects and development opportunities to grow your skills and career with both local and global colleagues and partners.
· A comprehensive total rewards financial program which includes extensive flexible benefits and pension.
· A hybrid work environment in an inspiring physical workplace setting.
· Educational Assistance Programs that continue to recognize your on-going success.
Click on the link to apply…
Munich Re Canada is committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of employment barriers and discrimination. Accommodations will be made for qualified applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. If you receive a request for an interview and you have a disability which will require an accommodation to support your participation, please contact AODARequestHR@munichre.ca as soon as practical so that suitable accommodations can be arranged.