President of Chanel Canada
Are you a legal expert in commercial and contract matters? Are you interested in labour law, data privacy, brand protection, compliance and competition law and would you like to become part of our legal community? Then we look forward to receiving your application.
Your role @CHANEL:
For our headquarters in Toronto we are looking for a Head of Legal who will report to the President of Chanel Canada, with matrix reporting to the General Counsel of UK & Ireland based in London (Canada being part of CHANEL’s UK Region). This will be the first legal appointment for CHANEL Canada and as such you will be a self-starter prepared to handle a wide variety of matters.
What impact you can create at Chanel:
You will be the first point of contact for all legal questions at CHANEL Canada acting as a business partner for our three divisions Fashion, Fragrance & Beauty and Watches & Fine Jewellery. As part of the CHANEL Legal Community, you will always be in close contact with the legal department based in London.
- Provide legal support and advice for the business units with a focus on commercial and contract matters, labour, data privacy, compliance and competition law
- Assist with the review and negotiation of contracts and handling related legal issues
- Lead handling litigious matters including ensuring legal representation in court and managing out-of-court settlements
- Draft and review internal guidelines and policies in close collaboration with business teams
- Lead the roll out of Global and Regional compliance policies and track compliance KPIs
- Develop and conduct legal training for employees
- Collaborate closely with the legal team in London, including collaboration on selection and management of external counsel (including budget)
- Assist the legal teams in London, US and Luxemburg with the company’s brand protection enforcement programme in Canada
- Provide input into affidavits, witness statements, statutory declarations and other key documents to further the protection of IP rights in Canada
What you will bring to the role:
- A lawyer with at least 5 to 7 years of experience working in a senior role in a law firm and / or an in-house legal department
- Good knowledge of commercial and contract law as well as data privacy, brand protection, compliance and competition law
- Excellent communication and advisory skills
- Comprehensive understanding of economic contexts and negotiation skills
- Strong planning, organisational and analytical skills
- Tech savviness and innovative mindset
- Emotional intelligence
- Fluent communication skills in English (and in French will be considered a strong asset for communication in Quebec)
You are energised by:
- Fostering meaningful relationships & working in a highly collaborative environment
- Enjoyment of a generalist advisor role as a legal business partner
- Broad variety of tasks and high level of autonomy
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
What you will gain from this experience:
- Innovative and challenging projects within the Canadian and wider UK Region Community
- Being part of a community that cares for the development and success of one another
- Belonging to a Company that is committed to growth, improvement and sustainability, in all areas
- Opportunity to work with many people from different teams and disciplines
At Chanel, we are focused on creating an inclusive culture that nurtures personal growth, contributing to collective progress. We believe the uniqueness of each individual increases the diversity, complementarity and effectiveness of our teams. We strongly encourage your application, as we value the perspective, experience and potential you could bring to CHANEL.
If you would like to join the CHANEL team, please send us your application today!
CHANEL CANADA ULC. welcomes all applicants for this position. We are committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.