Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
We are recruiting for a Specialist, Legal Talent to join our Calgary office on a 15-month contract. Working under the direction of the Senior Manager, Talent Management, Calgary, the successful candidate will be responsible for the execution of key activities and programs for the Student, Associate and Professional Development programs for the Calgary office, including:
- Associate recruitment
- Summer and Articling law student recruitment,
- Supporting professional development sessions for Students and Associates
- Responsible for the management of the Pro Bono Law Alberta/CCDC program involving Summer Students, Articling Students and Associates,
- Planning and executing Associate and Student internal firm events.
- Supporting the administration of all activities in these areas.
In conjunction with the Calgary Student Committee Co-Chairs, the Student Committee and the Senior Manager, Talent Management, Calgary:
- Responsible for end-to-end operations and processes for the Calgary Student Program.
- Prepares advertisements and for publication for Summer Student program with all Canadian law schools.
- Liaises with law schools by providing written material and correspondence as necessary. Ensures up-to-date student brochures are distributed to all Canadian law schools. Maintains statistical data for purposes of completing law school questionnaires.
- Registers Firm with Law Schools’ Career Days and arranges for appropriate representation, promotional materials; arranges interview space for schools that do not have Career Days.
- Assists with the management of the recruitment process for Articling and Summer Student program including maintaining recruitment database, initial intake of applications, corresponding with applicants, co-ordinating review of applications by the Student Committee; organizing interviews and recruiting events for same.
- Oversees Law Society registration processes for Calgary Summer and Articling Students
- Supports orientation and PD for the incoming Articling and Summer Student program.
- Responsible for collecting and organizing feedback for the summer and articling student performance review process.
- Enrols and ensures payment of all liability insurance, professional fees and dues.
Under the direction of the Calgary Practice Group Leaders and the Senior Manager, Talent Management, Calgary:
- Supports the recruitment process for all lateral legal professional hires, including communicating with third-party recruiters and ensuring precedent offer letters are current.
- Supports the On-Boarding process for incoming lateral associate hires, including lateral partner hires.
- Supports extra-provincial LP lateral hires with their applications for active practicing status with the Law Society of Alberta.
- Works closely with the H.R., IS, Office Services, Library and any other relevant personnel to deliver the orientation of the incoming professionals.
- Supports the administration of employee relations matters which includes transfer or departure process, secondments, maternity and parental leaves, maintenance of procedures, databases, and reports for all legal professionals leaving the Calgary office.
- Drafts letters for legal professionals such as, offer letters, letters of employment, letters of secondment, and departure letters.
- Supports all logistics for Student and Associate Professional Development Programs in the Calgary Office, including performance management and reviews.
- Accurately and promptly updates professional development database using firm software.
- Manages the Pro Bono Law Alberta/CCDC program for Summer Students, Articling Students, and Associates.
- Maintains procedures, databases, and reports for all Summer and Articling Students and Associates
- Supports the implementation of national processes and procedures.
Education and Experience
Post-secondary education and 3-5 years of work experience in a professional environment where candidate has performed duties related to Human Resources and/or Professional Development. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- a strong organizational and accuracy/attention to detail skills
- excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- project management, research, and analytical skills
- strong interpersonal, listening, and written and verbal communication skills
- writing and proofreading skills with ability to create reports and presentation material
- superior written and verbal communications in English, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- client service oriented with a friendly, professional manner
- computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- thorough understanding of the Firm’s culture and elements of Student and Associate programs
- ability to work as part of a team
- general knowledge of professional service firm operations with an understanding of different practices
- some flexibility with work hours is required, including ability to work overtime.
Ongoing Professional Development
- Keep up-to-date with the overall business activities within the firm and the legal community and best practices in the human resources and professional development fields.
For the safety of firm members and visitors, Osler is committed to complying with the recommendations of public health authorities, including with respect to adopting mandatory vaccination policies. Employment at Osler is therefore conditional on complying with any vaccination policies that Osler may adopt from time to time in response to the recommendations of public health authorities.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.