An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Assistant City Clerk
Department: Legislative Services
The incumbent assists with ensuring services that create a liaison between the City of Whitehorse Council and the public and internal departments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates or prepares, and distributes Council/Committee Meeting Agendas and administrative reports and coordinates the departmental web site.
- Maintains and ensures accessibility of a digital recording of Council and Committee meetings.
- Maintains photocopy equipment for City Hall, including basic trouble-shooting and the coordination of maintenance, repairs, and the availability of supplies.
- Pre-drafts minutes for all Council/Committee meetings.
- Develops, revises and/or proofs bylaws and council policies
- Assumes Returning Officer duties for general municipal elections, bi-elections, plebiscites and referendums, as assigned.
- Answers or directs enquiries from the public and employees with respect to Council Issues, agendas or departmental information.
- Prepares and monitors (controls), under the direction of the Manager, Legislative Services, the department budget and Mayor and Council accounts.
- Maintains and ensures accessibility of Council Bylaws, resolutions and policies and ensures that the proper authority exists and authorizes legal contracts and agreements.
- Provides input to and participates on the Municipal Act Review Committee as assigned.
- Acts as the Manager, Legislative Services as assigned.
- Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
This description contains the elements necessary for the identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.