Select how often (in days) to receive an alert:
Legal Counsel - Western Canada
Subsidiary: Colas Canada Inc.
Make an impact at Colas by helping build the Canada of tomorrow. Colas Canada Inc., part of the Colas Group, is Canada’s leader in the construction and maintenance of transportation infrastructure. From roads, to airports, to rail, we’ve done it all. Our subsidiaries operate from coast-to-coast, providing vertically integrated paving products and services to keep Canadians moving.
LOCATION: Colas Canada Western Canda Shared Services Office - 250 Carleton Drive, St. Albert, AB T8N 0R8
DIRECTLY REPORTING TO: VP Finance, Western Canada
FUNCTIONAL REPORTING TO: General Counsel, Colas Canada
STRUCTURE: Potential for hybrid work model (2 days remote work/week) after completing probationary period
BENEFITS: Pension, comprehensive benefits, health spending account, annual bonus, employee discounts on gym membership and national retailers.
Are you detail-oriented, solutions-driven, and a great communicator? Do you enjoy a fast-paced work environment where every day is different?
As Legal Counsel, you will play a key role in building solid and thorough legal support in Western Canada to ensure the sustainable growth of Colas Canada Inc. Supporting the Western subsidiaries of Colas Canada, with business locations in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Northwest Territories and Yukon, you will work with a variety of topics ranging from construction/materials, M&A, P3, insurance, claims & litigations, and providing general advice to support the decision-making process.
The ideal candidate has a background in corporate law and is experienced in contracts and claims matters. We are seeking a candidate who is flexible and curious, with excellent attention to detail and a passion for collaborating with diverse teams.
- Legal analysis on different topics as required to ascertain strategies and risk exposures
• Contract review and lawsuit management
• Legal support to operations (industries and construction activities)
• Reviewing and updating the templates of commercial agreements with a focus on bettering and ensuring consistency across the Western region
• Reviewing and advising the business regarding negotiation of commercial agreements
• Insurance (coverage analysis and portfolio management)
• Compliance analysis and implementation
• Manages litigation by developing and implementing strategies and solutions to reduce risks of liability and legal proceedings
• Liaising with and gathering information from different groups and entities for different corporate purposes, including regulatory matters, licenses and real estate-related matters
• Provides support to Western Canada Executive team, Colas Canada General Counsel legal team
• Working with and supporting Western Canada Human Resources team, with employment legislation matters and/or union matters
• Role involves some clerical and regulatory tasks to ensure proper licenses are in place
• Traveling is minimal but to be expected
- Law degree and license to practice law in Alberta (multiple provincial graduation is a plus).
• Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience in a law firm and/or in-house
• Experience with construction matters or linear field is a strong asset
• Knowledge of insurance, employment law and document discovery software preferred
• Experience with legal research and analysis of applicable laws
• Transactional and negotiating experience
• Strong organization skills with ability to manage competing priorities and meet business deadlines
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to provide hands-on legal support to various stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and problem solve effectively and diplomatically
• Proficiency using Excel and legal software
• All candidates in the role must successfully complete a conflict-of-interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment
WHAT YOU BRING
- Collaborative approach with both the business and legal groups and to partner with others
• A sustained interest and dedication in understanding the business
• A willingness to grow with the role, the legal group and the organization
• Ability to adapt to change and be a key player in change management
• Demonstrate a sense of urgency and strong commitment to achieving goals
• Ability to engage at a granular level on matters requiring long-term focus
• Results orientated, ability to contribute to a team environment and respond quickly to business needs and demands
• Ability to find simple, workable solutions to complex problems
• Curious and daring to help and support
• Patience and perseverance to work through complexity
• Bilingual French/English, considered an asset
WHAT WE OFFER
Amazing opportunities for mobility and career growth: At Colas, we encourage everyone to reach for their goals by building their own path: providing training tools, new learning programs, and soft skills development initiatives. With a network of subsidiaries across Canada and the Colas Group in 53 countries world-wide, the opportunities to expand your career are nearly endless.
Great perks: Discounted gym membership? Check. Exclusive deals on restaurants, merchandise, and travel? Check. Get rewarded for your hard work with access to a wide range of employee discounts.
Benefits and pension from day one: At Colas, we recognize the amazing talent each person brings. We believe such great talent deserves to be rewarded. We provide a comprehensive benefits and pension package, so you can focus on continuing to do your best.
Colas Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion. Colas Canada Inc. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender.