We are Canada Life
Being a part of Canada Life means you have a voice. This is a place where your unique background, perspectives and talents are valued, and shape our future success.
You can be your best here. You’re part of a diverse and inclusive workplace where your career and well-being are championed. You’ll have the opportunity to excel in your way, finding new and better ways to deliver exceptional customer and advisor experiences.
Together, as part of a great team, you’ll deliver on our shared purpose to improve the well-being of Canadians. It’s our driving force. Become part of a strong and successful company that’s trusted by millions of Canadians to do the right thing.
Be your best at Canada Life.
We are looking ot hire a Counsel, Corporate – Investments.
Given the size and scope of our organization, we have the flexibility for this position to be located in the following head office locations: Toronto, London, Winnipeg.
Canada Life has an exciting opportunity within our Canadian Legal Division and as part of a team of over 150 lawyers globally. If you are looking to apply commercial law experience in a challenging and fast-paced environment with one of Canada’s leading insurance companies, consider a career at Canada Life.
We are currently recruiting for the position of Legal Counsel, Corporate to support the company’s investment operations. While there is a preference for the position to be based in Winnipeg, London or Toronto, qualified candidates located elsewhere within Canada will also be considered. This position will report to the Assistant Vice President & Senior Counsel, Corporate, and will provide valuable, practical and timely advice to our Canadian Investment Division. Working closely with a group of highly accomplished legal professionals and business leaders, your work will be wide-ranging and will provide the opportunity to demonstrate proven expertise in dynamic practice areas.
This role will be primarily focused on providing legal support on diverse investment transactions, including:
- Private debt investments, including negotiating transaction documentation to enter into and maintain commercial financing transactions, including renewable energy and other infrastructure financing, public private partnerships, project financing and other innovative financing and investment transactions
- Public bond investments
- Mineral rights leasing
- Commercial mortgage and lease financing transactions
- Regulatory compliance
Given the broad scope of the business carried out by Canada Life’s Canadian Investment Division the position will also involve providing support for other types of investment transactions and related matters.
What you will bring
Be your best at Canada Life- Apply today
University Degree, Member of a Provincial Bar in good standing, 3 to 10 years’ work experience in relevant practice with preference given to experience in private debt investment/infrastructure transactions or private equity fund investment transactions
- Strong oral communication skills, with the ability to synthesize and present issues with clarity to business leaders of various business and functional areas
- Excellent judgment, with the ability to identify key issues and provide an independent view to the business team in a clear and practical manner
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with experience resolving complex problems
- Strong drafting, legal and written communication skills with a practical solution-oriented approach and the ability to use clear, plain language
- Self-motivated and a desire to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Highly focused with attention to detail
- Superior organizational and time management skills with experience addressing multiple projects at once
We are one of Canada's top 100 employers!
Canada Life serves the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Canada Life would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted