Gildan is looking for a dynamic and driven legal counsel to join its head office team in downtown Montreal. This position is part of a team of four attorneys, including the Vice-President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, three paralegals and an administrative assistant. You will report directly to the Director, Legal Affairs and Compliance, and help support all the divisions of the company on various legal matters related to intellectual property law, marketing law, regulatory law, and compliance matters, at the international level.
What you bring to the role
- Provide legal advice to the Marketing, Merchandising and Sales Departments on all marketing initiatives deployed by the company to promote its products (advertising, packaging, labelling, contest and sweepstakes, promotions, influencer programs, etc.)
- Manage the international trademark portfolio and advise the company on all intellectual property matters, to ensure the strategic protection and defense of its assets;
- Provide legal advice on regulatory compliance requirements at the international level, including product safety compliance, as well as data privacy compliance;
- Provide legal advice to the Communications and Environment, Social and Governance departments on the company’s internal and external communications;
- Responsible for the review of all agreements relating to marketing, communications and intellectual property matters (licenses, broadcasting agreements, agency agreements, sponsorship and endorsement agreements, etc.);
- Assist the Director, Legal Affairs and Compliance, in the deployment and implementation of the compliance program of the Company;
- Manage IP litigation files, in collaboration with the retained law firms; and
- Support the company in special projects.
What you bring to the role
Knowledge & Expertise
- Have been called to the bar in a Canadian province or in the United States;
- Possess a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in marketing (or regulatory) law and intellectual property law;
- Have an interest in deploying the Company’s compliance program (Code of Ethics, Anti-Corruption, etc.);
- Have experience working independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment;
- Have excellent spoken and written communication skills in English and French, with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels within the organization;
- Have strong analytical and synthesis skills, and great attention to details;
- Have an ability to multi-task and to handle a large number of concurrent requests of a time sensitive nature by being flexible, organized and able to prioritize and manage workload;
- Have a “can do” attitude with and strong work ethic;
- Possess sound business and legal judgement, are resourceful, motivated and dynamic;
- Are recognized for your interpersonal skills, leadership and your ability to work in teams in a changing environment;
- Have an ability to exercise good judgment and self-starter who can take the initiative;
- Interest to develop in other fields of law, flexible and have the willingness to learn;
- Are available to travel for work occasionally.
What's in it for you?
- Join one of the world's most sustainably managed companies.
- Interact and gain visibility to high level individuals to help take your career to new heights.
- Join a collaborative work culture centered around values of empowerment, entrepreneurial spirit, and responsibility.
- Benefit from mentorship and development opportunities.
- Take advantage and have access of our competitive benefits package.
- Please note that given the circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic, employees in certain regions are currently working from home.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Come as you are:
Join a company that recognizes the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion to create a successful and dynamic work environment. As an equal-opportunity employer, we value and embrace all the characteristics that make you uniquely you and seek to provide everyone with an equal chance to succeed. Because equity and inclusion matter at Gildan. Learn more .