From coast-to-coast, our inspiring colleagues are at the heart of what we do best: helping people, businesses and society prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. With our team, you’ll bring this purpose to life every day by living our Values, being open to change, and pursuing your goals.
At Intact, we’ll give you countless opportunities to learn and grow, alongside a diverse and passionate community of experts – the best the industry has to offer. You’ll be empowered to be your best self, do your best work, and make a meaningful impact. Here, you can: shape the future of insurance, win as a team, and grow with us.
About the role
We offer you more than just a career. As a Legal Counsel, working here means that you can focus on doing what you do best: being a great lawyer. With Canada’s largest in-house P&C insurance litigation team, you can say ‘goodbye!’ to business development and ‘hello!’ to active collaboration within a team environment, work flexibility, being supported by your colleagues and feeling valued.
With our Legal Claims team, you’ll be at the heart of what we do best: helping people. Guided by our values of respect, integrity, excellence, being customer-driven and generosity, you’ll have the freedom to manage and be creative in your approach to resolve property, casualty or specialty insurance litigation files. With your exceptional litigation and analytical skills, you will take a creative and proactive approach to file resolution.
This is a full-time permanent opportunity based in Vancouver, B.C.
What you’ll do here:
- Join a high-performing team of legal professionals driven to achieve Intact strategic goals related to indemnity and expense control
- Work with autonomy in your practice and collaborate with colleagues including lawyers, adjusters and the legal support team
- Handle insurance defence files of varying complexities from beginning to conclusion
- Assess claims with a focus on controlling indemnity but, at the same time, be pragmatic with a view to proactive and efficient resolution
- Support your Intact colleagues from other departments with assistance on inquiries and with educational activities
What you bring to the table:
- You share our values of respect, integrity, excellence, customer-driven and generosity – this will show through your work and your support of our customers, our claims partners, and our legal colleagues
- Your strong organization skills will help you manage independently a busy practice, including working effectively with legal support staff including legal assistants, paralegals, and administrative support employees
- Your interpersonal skills, your natural ability to build effective client relationships and work collaboratively with others will make you a great team player and contribute to the positive work environment
- Your ability to think outside the box, find novel solutions and be a pragmatic problem solver will help achieve strategic goals
The ideal candidate is/has:
- A member in good standing of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Experience in insurance defence, personal injury, and/or corporate/commercial litigation
- Strong digital solutions skills in the practice of law
- Proven competencies with drafting pleadings, research and analysis, conducting discoveries and preparing for it and conducting ADR and all litigation steps up to and including trial
- Proven experience with alternative dispute resolution, including independent preparation and conduct of mediations
- Strong communication and negotiating skills
- Experience in the following areas, considered an asset: Property Claims, Construction Litigation, Personal Injury, Subrogation, Marine Claims, Director and Officers/Errors and Omissions Liability and Employment Practices Liability
- Ability to periodically travel throughout BC to defend claims brought in other Judicial Districts
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- A comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An extensive, flexible benefits package
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- A $350 annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
Flexible Work Arrangements
Right now, we support 100% remote work, if your role permits. We anticipate that in early 2022, we’ll be moving to a hybrid approach which gives us the best of both worlds – a mix of home and in-office workdays.