Medico-legal Services’ (MLS) core function is to provide members with general medico-legal advice, and assistance in responding to College and hospital matters and legal actions arising from their medical professional work. The department delivers services in keeping with the CMPA’s commitment to members, aligned with offering caring and meaningful support and providing an outstanding member experience. The department is also responsible for coordinating the Council Committees related to case management: Case Review Committee, Case Review Committee – Quality Assurance.
As a Legal Case Administrator (LCA) you will track legal files, assist Physician Advisors in managing a legal file in a timely manner from its inception to its conclusion, and anticipate the progression of legal files in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure for each jurisdiction in Canada. The LCA must ensure the availability of adequate documentation and other evidentiary information for CMPA legal files. This is accomplished through ongoing communication with General and Provincial Counsel and with the Physician Advisors managing the file.
The LCA must also provide legal/technical expertise to all levels of the Medico-legal Services team as well as other departments within the CMPA, as required. The LCA also acts as a resource person to General Counsel (GC), Provincial Counsel (PC) and Physician Advisors on matters arising from the milestone maps.
Managing legal files
Communicate with CMPA members
Review legal documents to confirm whether a legal case type is the appropriate case problem type and determine appropriate court procedure
- Prepare and receive communication to and from General Counsel and Provincial Counsel regarding milestones, outstanding legal documents, outstanding medical and/or evidentiary documents and Assessments
- Review legal documents to determine outstanding evidentiary matters
- Review legal files to ensure all pertinent and required information is received in a timely manner, to allow for a thorough and accurate evaluation by the Physician Advisor
- Maintain and update legal information in SugarCRM according to changes occurring throughout the life of a legal action
- Keep abreast of changes in the legislation and/or Rules of Court
- Liaise with General Counsel and Provincial Counsel to arrange legal assistance for members’ licence renewal or application.
- Respond to member enquiries regarding members’ licence renewal or application
- Communicate with members when further information/clarification is required for the assistance to clinic questionnaire
- Contact members as requested by Physician Advisors
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Diploma or certificate Program (2-3 years) as Law Clerk, Legal Assistant, or Paralegal
- 4-6 years of experience working in a civil litigation environment and working independently as a litigation Law Clerk, Legal Assistant or Paralegal
- 2 years of the above experience must include working in a windows-based computer environment with word processing, Internet and databases
- Additional courses in Civil Litigation
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Bilingualism (French and English) is a requirement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of Rules of Procedures in a minimum of one jurisdiction in Canada; sufficient legal knowledge to understand and apply procedures and practices of other jurisdictions within Canada to the appropriate legal case
- Strong organizational & interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to liaise with all levels of staff and General and Provincial Counsel
- Ability to set priorities in a multi-tasked environment
Job Type: Regular full-time opportunity
- Salary Range: $56,614 to $75,863 annually – classified as a level 7
- Location: Ottawa, Ontario – working remotely until further notice; on-site requirement to be determined
- Skill Assessment: Selected candidates may be required to complete a skill assessment
- Application Deadline: by 4:00pm EST on October 27, 2021