Make a difference
Do you see yourself working for one of the largest social housing providers in North America that is dedicated to improving the lives of its residents? Are you a dynamic, service oriented individual who is eager to learn and expand on current skill sets within the Legal/Paralegal field?
If this sounds like you, then we have an opportunity you won’t want to pass up!
In this role, under the supervision of Supervisor, Paralegal Services, you will represent Toronto Community Housing in a broad range of litigation before courts and tribunals. Working in a dynamic and stimulating environment, you will give advice and guidance to internal clients on sensitive and confidential matters and you will also provide legal and administrative support to legal counsel on general litigation files in a manner that supports TCHC's tenant focused culture.
What you’ll do
- Maintains independent carriage of files including interviewing clients and witnesses, drafting legal documents, conducting research, preparing witnesses and evidence, and appearing in court and tribunal
- Represents Toronto Community Housing in administrative matters before the Landlord and Tenant Board and the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- Represents Toronto Community Housing in Small Claims Court matters including debt recovery actions and commercial contract disputes
- Represents Toronto Community Housing before the Ontario Court of Justice with respect to Provincial Offences including Building Code and Fire Code matters
- Provides litigation and administrative support to Toronto Community Housing counsel on major litigation files
- Assists legal counsel in providing proactive advice to Toronto Community Housing’s management and executive teams
- Provides guidance to Toronto Community Housing managers and staff on landlord and tenant matters.
- Assists Toronto Community Housing counsel in providing education, training and mentoring to managers and staff to ensure stakeholders are in compliance with various legal requirements such as the Residential Tenancies Act and the Housing Services Act.
What you’ll need
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a relevant field of study
- Paralegal license with the Law Society of Ontario
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- Knowledge of and experience in landlord and tenant law and litigation before the Landlord and Tenant Board
- Knowledge of and experience in civil litigation and provincial offences matters
- Knowledge of and experience in human rights matters
- Knowledge of and experience in commercial litigation, and privacy are considered an asset
- Demonstrated legal research and writing abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of office procedures and manual/electronic filing systems
- Demonstrated file management skills including file opening and organization
- Superior time management skills including docketing and tickler system practices and the ability to multi-task and deal effectively with competing demands
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and presentation skills
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including a diverse tenant population to resolve sensitive issues
- Excellent conflict resolution, problem solving, and negotiation skills
- Proficiency with computerized business applications including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and information databases so as to work independently on the carriage of tribunal and court files
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and also as a member of a team
- Working knowledge of legislation that is applicable to Toronto Community Housing including the Residential Tenancies Act, Human Rights Code, Housing Services Act, Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Building Code Act, and City of Toronto Municipal Code
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and cover letter to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to move forward in the hiring process. If you are contacted, the process will include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets the various needs of our diverse employees, including:
- Three weeks paid vacation and two personal days
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Health and Dental Benefits including Healthcare Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Maternity and Parental Leave Top Up
- Fitness Membership discount
- Annual Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible work arrangements, remote work with occasion
Please note: This temporary position may be extended or become permanent in order to meet business needs. If this occurs, the position may not be reposted.