Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 18
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Operations & Finance delivers services and programs enabling Western’s community to benefit society and achieve excellence on the world stage. The Office of the University Legal Counsel provides legal advice and services to senior University administrators, Faculties and Administrative Units.
The Associate University Legal Counsel (Contracts), under the direction of the University Legal Counsel, provides legal representation and advice to the University and all its constituent parts, including the Board of Governors, Senate, the President, Vice Presidents, the Faculties, and the Administrative Units. This role will primarily focus on providing advice on, drafting and negotiating a variety of different types of contracts, with a principal focus on technology, intellectual property, procurement and donor agreements.
- LL.B/ J.D. from an accredited law school in Canada
- Active membership in the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Licensed to practice in Ontario and in good standing, or admissible at the earliest opportunity
- 5 years' experience practicing law and providing legal advice to complex organizations
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of a broad range of legal matters affecting universities
- Significant breadth of knowledge related to university operations
- Ability to effectively transform legal requirements into efficient operational policy and processes
- High ethical standards, with a strong commitment to legal ethics, which is exhibited in knowledge and practice, and professional responsibility
- Ability to effectively drive and manage change initiatives that align with organizational strategies, support risk mitigation and enhance operational efficiencies
- Exceptional communication, analytical, writing, research and interpersonal skills
- Conflict resolution skills with an ability to proactively identify potential conflicts and support actions to facilitate its resolution
- Ability to provide guidance to assist others in solving complex situations affecting the University’s business
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Verbal communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, and provide a rationale for action
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to evaluate future implications of strategies, and consider the outcomes of situations that could develop from decisions
- Problem solving skills and sound professional judgment
- Negotiation and influencing skills to effectively advocate needs and maintain relationships
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of professionalism and to work effectively and efficiently with internal and external clients at all levels of the organization
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are clearly linked to the organization's strategy and goals
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.