Bantrel is seeking an energetic, self-motivated and team-oriented Legal Counsel to join its Legal and Risk Management team. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will provide high quality, timely and relevant legal assistance to all the functional groups of Bantrel's core business and affiliates.
*Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance.
- Serve as a key member of the Bantrel Legal and Risk Management (LRM) team, providing advice to Bantrel's oil, gas and chemicals, mining and metals, power, infrastructure and construction teams;
- Advise and collaborate with all Bantrel businesses in order to achieve commercial objectives in alignment with the corporate vision, values, and covenants;
- Negotiate and draft a variety of contracts and generally provide legal support on commercial transactions;
- Provide legal advice and support to functions across the business, in particular:
- Procurement/Supply Chain on contracting and related issues;
- Human Resources on employment, OH&S and labour relations matters;
- Client Solutions on tender management and processes, requests for proposal and award matters;
- Provide support as part of the LRM team on claims and litigation management; and
- Liaise with Bantrel legal staff and personnel in other departments on projects.
The successful candidate is expected to bring deep knowledge of major capital projects in the heavy industrial industries. They will bring a balance of strong technical legal skills, as well as be highly organized, detail-oriented and discerning. In addition, the successful candidate will:
- Be licensed and in good standing to practice law in Alberta;
- Have a successful track record of 5-8 years of post-call commercial legal experience, gained in-house or with a well-regarded law firm;
- Possess high-level commercial legal expertise, with strong reviewing, drafting and negotiating skills;
- Have experience supporting commercial transactions;
- Able to convey complex legal issues in a practical manner useful to all Bantrel's business teams;
- Previous experience with construction law and EPC contract formation is ideal.
As important as the technical skills this lawyer brings to the table, are the softer interpersonal components of the job. The successful candidate will:
- Display the confidence, judgment and business acumen required to successfully negotiate key contracts and be a key member of the Bantrel Legal and Risk Management team;
- Be a “hands-on” lawyer who is practical, pragmatic, and customer service oriented, with a willingness and ability to learn the company’s business;
- Be able to communicate in a clear, concise, understandable manner, both orally and in writing;
- Possess confident legal skills, a breadth and depth of expertise, exceptional team player skills at a senior level, and a positive attitude;
- Provide strong problem-solving instincts, with the capability to be decisive;
- Display a high level of energy, enthusiasm, and motivation to make Bantrel successful;
- Possess solid organizational skills and the ability to establish and focus on key priorities while taking a hands-on approach to managing issues and contributing to projects and transactions.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning reference code B-008-COR-Sep20-C in the subject line.
Apply for this position
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.