We’re looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to join our growing team!
As a Legal Assistant, you will play an integral role in the Legal Claims Department, working closely within a team to provide legal assistance to teams. This exciting in-house role is based in our Toronto office at 700 University Avenue.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working in a paper-less environment
- General assisting duties and responsibilities related to management of legal practices
- Setting up new files in our online system, drafting correspondence, court documents, briefing files and ultimately closing files
- Scheduling examinations for discovery, examinations under oath, mediations, meetings, and various hearings at Court
- Maintaining Legal Counsel’s calendar, supervising their practice and ensuring deadlines are met
- Word Processing, electronic filing and general office duties
- College diploma from either a legal office administration or law clerk program is required
- Experience working as a legal assistant, preferably within an insurance defence or personal injury law firm
- Working knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure and LAT procedures
- Knowledge of Loss Transfer and Priority Dispute procedures.
- Experience assisting with E&O, D&O, Surety and Marine claims is an added asset
- Strong document management skills with the ability to learn and utilize Intact’s various software programs, including iManage, Citrix, ACL, Nuance and the Microsoft Office package of programs
- Ability to prioritise, organise and execute your tasks in a quality manner with a fast turnaround
- A desire to be a part of our #oneteam philosophy, supporting our insureds, adjusters, claims representatives, law clerks, legal assistants and lawyers, with a view to customer satisfaction and business continuity
- Excellent attention to detail and sound proofreading skills, ability to prioritize and organize
- Excellent communication, listening, organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills exercise sound judgment and take initiative
- Demonstrate a disciplined approach to work
- Comfort working in a paperless environment
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- Flexibility in how and where you work
- A casual ‘dress for your day’ culture that encourages you to be yourself
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That’s why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that internal and external candidates will be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
Eligibility to Work in Canada
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
This posting closes on August 28, 2020 at 11:59 pm.