Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that works behind the scenes to support operational excellence. Our functional services teams (FSTs) provide services to 22,000 employees in over 350 locations worldwide. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our FSTs are vital to making our Company stronger.
We have an exciting opportunity for up to four experienced lawyers to join our Risk Management team based out of our Edmonton, AB office. We may also consider applicants in Montreal QC, Calgary, AB, Markham, ON, Toronto, ON, Vancouver, BC, or Dartmouth NS.
Your Key Responsibilities
Our Risk Management team members are leaders in the organization with respect to ethics and demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel (Operations), you will join a team of lawyers and Contract Review Specialists in the review of contracts as part of a larger Risk Management team. In this position, you will work directly with Stantec Project Managers to provide them with practical and timely advice regarding contracts related to the provision of professional services.
The following is a list of major responsibilities of this role:
- By using your professional experience, legal training, and business acumen you will review contracts, identify and communicate risks to project leadership and work with them to find practical solutions to resolve contract issues on a wide variety of projects in assigned business lines.
- You will remain current on developments in the law (including Construction Lien legislation, OHS legislation, and common law) which may impact the delivery of projects in your assigned business line.
- You will critically review scopes of service and commercial terms and can appreciate and communicate nuanced legal and commercial risk associated with such terms.
- You will contextualize legal risks with the project characteristics, prioritize those risks, and allocate time and resources appropriately.
- You will lead negotiations with clients and develop and implement strategy for the team.
- You will advise on processes and actions to mitigate legal and project risk.
- You will research and provide legal opinions on contract terms.
- You will continuously develop and improve upon contracting processes, resources, and precedents.
- Apply your discretion and authority to approve contract terms
- This is a position offering exceptional opportunities to be involved in significant aspects of the business of the company.
- Occasional travel within United States and Canada may be required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- You can:
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of the professional services contract life cycle and communicate risks inherent at various stages of a project.
- Thrive in an environment with a high operational tempo with limited supervision.
- Build trust and enduring partnerships with people in your organization.
- Can use independent judgement and decisiveness to resolve complex issues.
- Use leadership skills to effectively communicate and positively influence senior professionals and business leaders.
- To qualify for this role, you will possess a Juris Doctorate or equivalent degree, and be admitted to the applicable provincial bar.
- You must possess exceptional written and verbal communications skills in the English language. An ability to also provide services in the French language is preferred for one of the positions.
Education and experience
- You will also have 5 or more years of commercial or litigation experience related to professional design services or in general construction law obtained from a law firm or in-house.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations: Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-Quebec-Montréal