A little about us
At Shaw, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We’re making bold moves to connect Canadians and we’re always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We’d love to meet you.
We have an exciting opportunity within our Legal department for a Manager, Legal Counsel, working in our downtown Calgary corporate office. Reporting to the Director, Senior Counsel, the successful candidate will be responsible for reviewing and negotiating procurement contracts and working closely with the Strategic Sourcing team and other internal teams, as necessary, on a wide variety of legal support activities in connection with procurement transactions.
A typical day
- Responsible for reviewing, drafting and negotiating various commercial agreements, including contract templates, to ensure Shaw’s business interests are protected through executed, binding and enforceable contracts;
- Working collaboratively with the Strategic Sourcing team, Legal team and other Shaw teams to identify and mitigate risks and determine creative solutions in service of Shaw’s corporate objectives;
- Identifying and implementing improved efficiencies in Shaw’s contracting practices and the delivery of legal support services;
- Providing ongoing contract support, including training and coaching in connection with legal requirements, corporate policies, procedures and contract matters for the Strategic Sourcing team and other business teams within Shaw;
- Maintaining organized and accessible electronic files and databases; and
- Other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- 2 - 5 years’ experience in commercial law with a leading law firm or an in-house legal department;
- A license to practice law in Alberta;
- Solid command of commercial agreements and related documents, with focused experience on procurement and supply contracts being considered an asset;
- Experience in the telecommunication industry or in technology law considered an asset;
- Strong interpersonal skills, balanced judgment and a demonstrated ability to make sound decisions within a legal context;
- Effective and efficient advisory skills, including an ability to understand the needs of our business and communicate complex issues clearly and concisely;
- Ability to work effectively in a detail oriented, dynamic, fast-paced team environment; and
- A positive, “can-do” attitude and customer focused approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy and sincerity.
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
This posting will close on June 10, 2020
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.