Are you looking for a new opportunity with a strong and stable company? Do you want the opportunity for excellence and advancement in your career? If so, Gordon Food Service could be the place for you.
As one of the largest privately held foodservice distributors in North America, our family business has a history of developing talented professionals, pursuing innovative ideas and building strong relationships.
We are seeking great people looking for professional and personal growth. If you are interested in joining an innovative, supportive, values-driven company, we invite you to consider a career with Gordon Food Service. Take a look at these videos to learn more about who we are and what we do!
Responsibilities & Qualifications:
Provides legal advice to Gordon Food Service, its subsidiaries, and affiliates on a North American basis as the company navigates the ever-changing legal landscape. Serving as a corporate generalist, Legal Counsel will intake a variety of issues from many areas throughout the business, and work independently, though collaboratively, with the other attorneys of the legal team. Provides technically proficient, yet practical advice that can be immediately applied by the business to mitigate risk. Responds promptly to a wide range of legal work and coordinates closely with Legal department colleagues to ensure delivery of smart, practical and consistent advice on a variety of commercial matters.
- Manages and supports the legal needs of all business units and all divisions of Gordon Food Service in US and/or Canada
- Supports Chief Legal & Risk Officer and legal leadership in providing legal advice to all areas of the business
- Commercial Law: Contract preparation, drafting, negotiation, review; recommending solutions to mitigate risk
- Corporate Law: Corporate transaction support i.e. M&A due diligence, document drafting, etc.
- Real Estate Law: Lease preparation, drafting, review, interpretation, negotiation; landlord disputes.
- Litigation Management: Subpoena and litigation process support; manage disputes through either ADR or, where applicable, claims and litigation
- Employment Law: Assists with managing employee relations issues, litigation / claims / charges, etc.
- Regulatory / Compliance: Monitors emerging areas of law and design compliance programs with the business to adopt.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Excellent research and writing skills, including contract drafting and other forms of legal writing; detail orientation a must
- Excellent business acumen and communication (i.e. interpersonal as well as digital), presentation skills
- Excellent time and case management skills; ability to shift quickly between substantive areas of law in a fast paced environment and be timely and responsive to demands/needs
- Emotionally intelligent and self-aware; commitment to professionalism at all times
- “Can-do”, service oriented approach toward internal clients; demonstrated ability to work with wide range of clients
- “Global mindset” and collaborative approach with both business owners and legal colleagues
- “Digital first mindset” and ability to create and use legal technology
- Self-starting and independent work style, without need for frequent points of contact/supervision throughout the day
- Good judgment and ability to spot issues; knows when to further research or knows when to ask for help or advice
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing circumstances, strategies or when defending/conveying a point
- High level of integrity exercised internally and in representing the company to outside parties
- Sense of humor, humility and approachability
- English fluency required, additional French or Spanish fluency preferred.
- Must love food!
- Bachelor Degree Finance or Business undergraduate - Required.
- Called to the Bar in Canada / License to Practice Law in good standing - Required.
- Law Degree (LLB) - Required.
- Master Degree – Preferred.
- 5 or more years of post-licensure legal experience required in 2 or more of the substantive areas described above.
- Large law firm training as well as experience working as an in-house lawyer (Fortune 500 or comparably sized food industry company with a small legal department is a plus).
To apply for this opportunity please use the link in Home Plate - Career Opportunities
Gordon Food Service is an equal opportunity employer.
Watch these videos for even more information about Gordon Food Service!
** Gordon Food Service welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Aboriginal People, and persons with disabilities. To request any accommodations you may require to participate in the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms) contact firstname.lastname@example.org or
to discuss your needs.