Our Indigenous Business Law Group seeks a mid-level associate (minimum 2-3 years of call) to add to our busy, expanding team. The candidate will be dedicated to achieving results for clients in a creative, timely and responsive manner in a fast-paced environment. This is a great opportunity for a self-motivated associate to join a dynamic team and participate in a meaningful and hands on way in some of BC’s most dynamic First Nations business law work.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas:
Corporate and commercial solicitor skills:
- IBA agreement drafting;
- knowledge of real estate law, both on and off reserve;
- knowledge of private company law;
- knowledge of the duty to consult as it applies in First Nation business contexts;
- familiarity with JVs, Limited Partnerships, and Leases; and
- research skills.
We are also interested in hearing from mid-level to senior associates who may have less direct Indigenous business law experience, but who have comparable experience in corporate-commercial law.
Candidates will also possess the following attributes:
- a client centered approach, with excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- the ability to handle the volume and inevitable quick deadlines of a busy practice;
- knowledge of First Nations caselaw;
- excellent organizational skills, with exceptional attention to detail;
- the ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, confidentiality, solve problems, and handle a high level of responsibility;
- strong analytical and drafting skills;
- entrepreneurial spirit with ambition to build a long term practice;
- the ability to work both independently and as part of a collegial team; and
- has cultural competency working with Indigenous people.