Reporting to the Legal Services Manager, the Law Clerk’s responsibilities will involve providing administrative and paralegal support for a team of lawyers including fulfilling know-your-client and other information and documentation requests, maintaining corporate records for Fund entities and assisting the lawyers to provide contracting and transactional support to HOOPP clients. The Law Clerk will have a general knowledge of relevant areas of law, practice and procedures.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Performs corporate due diligence (i.e. order and reviews preliminary and full NUANS reports; orders and reviews Certificates of Status, Profile reports, etc.)
- Reviews and maintains corporate minute books (identifies deficiencies, if necessary)
- Prepares annual resolutions/minutes of meetings, as required
- Ensures compliance with real property related documentation requirements for Ontario corporations (Business Corporations Act, s. 140.1 - register of ownership interests in land in Ontario) and other corporate documentation requirements that may apply (e.g. Canada Business Corporations Act beneficial ownership records)
- Prepares and files, when required, corporate documentation including authorizing resolutions, officer’s certificates, statutory declarations/affidavits to support Fund transactions and ensure regulatory compliance (including s. 149 Undertakings for new Fund subsidiaries)
- Maintains corporate records with respect to addresses, directors, shareholders, officers, etc.
- Maintains any original or duplicate share certificates, bonds, promissory notes in an organized manner including keeping an up-to-date ledger of what is in safekeeping (instructing Fund custodian, as applicable)
- Drafts and files business name registrations, limited partnership and general partnership registrations and renewals, as required
- Prepares resignations for directors and officers who are no longer a director or officer of a subsidiary or who leave HOOPP and completes and files Form 1 Notices of Change and annual returns with Ministry when addresses, directors or officers change
- Completes and organizes directors’ and officers’ indemnification agreements
- Assists with production and submission of insurance claim documentation and preparation of insurance renewal applications (Property and Casualty, Executive Risk, other coverages)
- Instructs external IP counsel in connection with any HOOPP trademark registrations
- A diploma in a related Legal Administration and/or Law Clerk program
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position in a corporate, real estate law practice
- Proficiency with current technology (Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, OnCorp, Teranet eXpress)
- Positive attitude, professional demeanour and quick learner
- Works well as a team player and also strong individual contributor
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong written and verbal communication skills
- Very good problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments and meet tight deadlines
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario's hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 350,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 570 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada's largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP's net assets reached $79 billion at the end of 2018 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 121%.
HOOPP's core values - professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy - guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We've become one of Canada's leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation.
From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we're proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.
Legal and Audit
Mar 4, 2020, 6:47:41 AM