You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
In collaboration with internal litigation counsel, you will be responsible for managing a portfolio of disability and life insurance actions in a Litigation Law Clerk role with emphasis on achieving Key Performance Indicators on a monthly, quarterly and/or annual basis.
You will be responsible for opening new matters, drafting pleadings, Affidavits of Documents, Mediation Briefs, and motion materials, as well as obtaining and summarizing claim documents and productions from opposing parties. You will also be responsible for overseeing the electronic filing of documentation, correspondence and emails in a largely paperless, fast-paced and high volume litigation environment and communicating with external counsel and Sun Life clients in other provinces.
What will you do?
- Achieving Key Performance Indicators on a monthly, quarterly and/or annual basis
- Managing a large portfolio of disability and life insurance actions as part of an internal litigation team
- Drafting pleadings, Affidavits of Documents, Mediation Briefs, Pre-Trial Memoranda, motion materials, settlement documents, etc.
- Obtaining and summarizing documents from internal Sun Life clients and from opposing counsel
- Updating and maintaining electronic records on various Sun Life software systems
- Reporting to internal clients regarding file developments
- Arranging for and managing requests for surveillance and defence medical (and other) examinations
- Compiling and maintaining lists of Undertakings and Refusals and following up on answers from the appropriate parties
- Maintaining knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure and a general understanding of Sun Life's products and practices
- Delegating various tasks to a Legal Assistant and providing assistance in a collaborative team environment
- Participating in legal strategy and settlement discussions
- With respect to litigation matters outside of the Province of Ontario, retaining external counsel and keeping appraised of litigation developments and budget requirements
- Contributing to and attending various Projects, Committees and Meetings regarding litigation management
What do you need to succeed?
- Law Clerk Diploma or equivalent
- 3-7 years’ work experience as a Litigation Law Clerk (experience with the defence of life and disability insurance claim litigation and/or accident benefits and income replacement litigation would be an asset)
- Attention to detail, dependability and a commitment to produce high-quality work product
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated skills in a team environment
- Decisiveness and an ability to carry out law clerk responsibilities with minimal direction/supervision
- Developed critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s Rules of Civil Procedure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to appropriately prioritize, follow-up, and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office or similar software
- Ability to make extensive and effective use of e-mail correspondence and work in a paperless environment
What’s in it for you?
- 15 days vacation per year
- Flexible Benefits from the day you join to meet the needs of you and your family
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security
- Wellness programs that support the three pillars of your health – mental, physical and financial
- Fitness and wellness programs that help you balance work and life and enjoy a healthier lifestyle
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.