The person hired for the position will join a fast-paced global team of lawyers and paralegals who provide legal counsel related to a variety of commercial legal matters to Cargill businesses across Canada.
No two days at this position look the same. The person hired will be curious, creative, and will enjoy the freedom to learn a wide variety of practice areas as our businesses grow and innovate, including preventative counseling; review, drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts; strategic counseling and advice; regulatory compliance counseling; claims resolution; litigation oversight; and deep engagement with Cargill’s Canadian commercial businesses.
This position requires excellent judgment, including the ability to recognize the business implications of decisions and develop solutions and counsel clients toward those solutions. Successful candidates will have excellent contracting skills and experience, strong communication skills and a strong orientation toward collaboration.
- Lead preparation, review and revisions of various commercial agreements. Lead process of gathering and integrating stakeholder input and regularly participate and lead negotiations. Communicate and counsel clients regarding commercial law aspects of transactions and other legal matters. Develop expertise in Cargill’s various businesses and relevant legal trends.
- Practice preventive law, including providing advice, training and education on Canadian law in areas such as competition, regulatory compliance, contracting, credit, corporate structuring, as well as assisting Cargill businesses on compliance with various company policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other members of the Cargill Law Department to provide legal advice in certain specialized areas such as environmental, employment/labor law, and intellectual property. Collaborate with M&A team for acquisitions and divestitures.
- Manage disputes and litigation relating to Cargill’s businesses on matters such as commercial litigation, product liability, and administrative law issues, including budgeting and managing outside counsel.
Miscellaneous projects/duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Either a Juris Doctor (JD) or LLB degree
- License to practice law in any Canadian province
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience practicing as a lawyer
- Demonstrated ability to spot legal issues in areas such as: information technology, intellectual property, competition law, marketing, food law, federal and provincial regulatory matters, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent contract analysis, drafting and negotiation skills
- Competent in conducting legal research
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Strong organization and execution skills and high impact execution
- Ability to serve as a strong business partner and proven history of building trust with others
- Collaboration with others to promote greater team work and outcomes for clients
- Demonstrated ability to operate in ambiguous situations
- Proven ability to manage conflict and strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and be solutions-oriented
- Shows courage, resourcefulness and resilience
- Adapts quickly to change, suggests continuous process improvements and contributes to a positive and inclusive working environment
- Shows good judgment and commitment to Cargill's Code of Conduct and Guiding Principles
- Agile, nimble and adaptable to process changes
- Must be legally entitled to work for Cargill in Canada.
- Ability to influence at all levels within an organization and a strong history of coaching/developing others.
- Experience working with international teams
- Relevant legal experience in agriculture, food and commodities
- 3-10 years in legal practice
Cargill is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing accommodation to our job applicants with disabilities.