Paralegal/ Sr. Coordinator – Immigration Law
You’ve got big plans. We have opportunities to match, and we’re committed to empowering you to become a better you, no matter what you do.
When you join KPMG you’ll be one of over 200,000 professionals providing audit, tax, advisory, and business enablement services across 154 countries.
With the support to do things differently, grow personally and professionally, and bring your whole self to work, there’s no limit to the impact you can make. Let’s do this.
The Immigration Law team has an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated Paralegal to join the Calgary office in a permanent position.
Overview of the opportunity:
The Immigration Paralegal/Sr. Coordinator is responsible for managing the preparation and filing of immigration-related applications for clients of multinational corporations and firms. This role requires excellent multi-tasking skills to coordinate a high volume of cases and an ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of clients, including HR representatives and senior-level personnel.
What you will do:
- Coordinate and manage the progress of files from initiation to completion with lawyers and other paralegals/coordinators;
- Advise clients of processing procedures, requirements and timelines;
- Prepare applications for work permits, study permits, visitor visas, permanent resident, citizenship applications and associated immigration status documents;
- Research appropriate legal documents required for application processes;
- Interact with HR representatives, hiring managers and client employees to obtain and complete documents required for each application;
- Review collected forms and documents for accuracy and consistency;
- Provide draft documents and application packages to lawyers for review;
- Prepare and send out case status reports to clients;
- Coordinate requests for translation and/or notarization of documents, as required;
- Prepare and file applications for police clearances, as required;
- Manage the collection of copies of immigration status documents from clients;
- Manage the tracking of immigration status expiry dates; and,
- Conduct all work within established time standards.
- Respond to client enquiries or challenges in a timely and knowledgeable manner;
- Update clients on the progress of their applications and assist in providing solutions to any difficulties experienced;
- Follow-up on pending matters to ensure activities reach a timely conclusion;
- Handle a high volume of immigration-related matters;
- Escalate issues as necessary; and,
- Manage client expectations in terms of processes and application approval times.
- Oversee file management for all immigration matters to which you have been assigned;
- Ensure that files are opened based on client requests;
- Ensure that all client correspondence is recorded in internal database;
- Ensure that all relevant data fields are populated and accurate in database;
- Send files to be invoiced once the application process is completed; and,
- Oversee the work of junior paralegals/coordinators, as required.
What you bring to the role:
- College or University degree – not necessarily required, but an asset;
- 3-5 years of Canadian immigration experience required;
- US immigration experience is an asset;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Self-directed and highly motivated;
- Ability to multi-task high-volume case load and meet aggressive deadlines;
- Time management skills are critical;
- Ability to demonstrate analytical and problem solving skills within a fast-paced environment;
- Strong organizational and computer skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Ability to locate and research information efficiently, to use it effectively and to evaluate the quality of the information, and;
- Ability to communicate responsibly and promote effective working relationships.
Keys to your success:
- Ability and interest in developing new markets and in working in a growing business environment;
- Professionalism in the execution of tasks;
- High level of drive, enthusiasm and a positive attitude when coping with pressure at work;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams; and,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English.
KPMG Law LLP offers many benefits:
- Competitive salary;
- Three weeks of vacation per year;
- 5 days of personal time for personal/family emergencies;
- Pension plan;
- Comprehensive group benefit plan; and,
- Lifestyle Spending Account.
KPMG Law LLP is also an engaging and fulfilling working environment providing exposure to clients, professionals and career opportunities within the KPMG network.
KPMG is among the best employers in Canada and was recently recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2019 for a fourteenth consecutive year! The well-being and professional development of our talent are our priority. Come build your future with us!