At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. With more than 6,000 locally admitted lawyers and more than 5,800 business service professionals in 78 offices worldwide, we have a collaborative community of 60 nationalities committed to world-class career development at every level. Baker McKenzie can offer you both the uncompromising commitment to excellence expected of a top firm and a distinctive way of thinking, working and behaving - as a passionately global and genuinely collaborative firm.
The Toronto of Baker & McKenzie LLP is seeking a Knowledge Lawyer for Private Equity. The Knowledge Lawyer for Private Equity will manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the Group within the context of the Firm's knowledge strategy.
The Knowledge Lawyer for Private Equity will make first-class Private Equity knowledge from North America and Latin America easily available to lawyers, increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that Baker McKenzie gives its clients, including:
Knowledge and Expertise
- Precedents. Draft, develop and automate the Group's precedents and other legal content
- Current awareness and commercial/industry knowhow. Keep abreast and provide regular updates on key developments impacting the Group. Apply an understanding of key clients' industries and businesses to all activity. Work with other practice and industry groups to provide the most holistic legal, commercial and industry knowhow possible.
- Leverage industry periodicals and media to enhance industry knowledge. Involve self with industry bodies, including by coordinating attendance at meetings and calls and by joining working groups and subcommittees
- Lawyer requests. Respond to ad hoc enquiries from lawyers with on-point, thorough and timely answers. Develop a reputation as a go-to expert
- Knowhow development. Collect and input the Group's knowhow into the firm's global repository of knowledge and populate global, multi-jurisdictional databases and resources. Identify gaps in knowhow and work to fill them, ensuring content development is progressive
- Training. Identify the Group's training needs. Meet training needs by delivering, participating in and promoting training. Leverage firm resources and processes to produce training materials and courses efficiently and of the highest possible quality
- Client-facing knowledge. Provide legal input into client-facing initiatives, including client training and legal content for proposals and other business development resources. Identify Group hot topics and write, commission and deliver content such as alerts, thought leadership reports and talking points. Educate self about the practice group's key clients
- Policy initiatives and capacity-building. Participate in and respond to policy consultations and regulatory developments
- Relationships. Promote and identify ways to strengthen the Group's knowledge culture. Build lasting relationships throughout the firm through collaboration, mutual respect and a reputation for competence. Advocate and be a positive spokesperson for Knowledge. Nurture relationships with trainees and junior lawyers. Support diversity and inclusion, CSR and pro bono activities
- Operations and innovation. Proactively seek ways to improve your own and team's service and efficiency and contribute to best practices. Actively participate in Knowledge projects
- Systems. Support and drive adoption of Knowledge systems. Take ownership of delivery. Schedule one-on-one meetings and presentations to promote Knowledge systems
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Understand and promote the Group's business and Knowledge plans. Structure time and priorities in accordance with the Group's business and Knowledge plans and provide input into them
Skills and Experience:
- Law degree
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one)
- Substantial experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in the private equity area
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal tech
By clicking apply on the clear legal job board to the career opportunity, you are giving consent for Human Resources, Baker & McKenzie LLP US Partnership to review your application and resume which will be stored on a server in the United States.