Resource Legal Administrative Assistant (“Floater”) – Toronto Office
We are currently looking for a Resource Legal Administrative Assistant (“Floater”) to join us and invite you to review the job description. Working on the float team, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to meet people from across the firm and utilize their skills in a variety of different practice areas and specialized areas of law. Looking to our needs in the future, there is a strong possibility that there will be position(s) opening for permanent roles with teams of lawyers, of which this candidate would be welcome to apply.
The Resource Legal Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing legal administrative support to teams in all areas of law, for covering desks during short and longer term absences (everything from sick days to pre-booked vacations to extended leaves), and for overflow work when other LAA’s are busy. We are looking specifically for candidates that like to stay busy and who are very flexible and adaptable, resourceful in their own learning and who have a strong sense of customer service orientation and a “can do” attitude.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Understand individual requirements of a desk and expectations of teamed lawyers in order to provide quality coverage in the absence of the teamed assistant;
- Meet with and follow instructions of the assistant with respect to specific requirements of the desk;
- Produce documents including typing, revising, creating blacklines and/or multiple versions of daily correspondence and/or practice specific documents (such as court documents or agreements);
- Maintain established filing and bring forward systems which may be in either manual or electronic form;
- Interact professionally with clients, opposing counsel, experts and other relevant stakeholders via telephone and written communications;
- Coordinate parties, schedule and organize various meetings;
- Enter timesheets and coordinate the billing cycle;
- Complete electronic and/or manual filing;
- Perform various administrative tasks including conflicts checks, opening and closing of files and other Finance procedures;
- Provide a high level of service - liaise with other assistants, paralegals and lawyers regularly regarding file updates; and
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Qualities & Experience Required
- Formal Legal Assistant education required;
- Minimum of 1 years’ work experience is preferred, ideally as a Legal Administrative Assistant, or working in an office or a customer service environment;
- Exposure to a variety of practice areas including Litigation and Corporate;
- Strong knowledge of Residential Real Estate files preferred;
- Excellent software skills, particularly with Microsoft Office, including using Outlook contacts and calendar functions;
- Experience in Nuance PDF, FileSite, Elite, Workshare programs is considered an asset;
- Adaptable and flexible;
- Excellent organizational and time management abilities required to prioritize a high volume of tasks or competing priorities;
- Dedicated to providing service beyond expectation;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proven problem-solving skills with the ability to visualize and deliver creative solutions; and
- Ability to manage multiple internal clients and be adaptable to the needs of each.
LA Piper Canada encourages all Applicants with disabilities to contact DLA Piper Canada if they require accommodation during the recruitment process. DLA Piper Canada will consult with the Applicant and provide, or arrange for the provision of, suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the Applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.