Export Development Canada (EDC) is a financial Crown corporation dedicated to helping Canadian businesses make an impact at home and abroad. EDC offers financial products and knowledge to help Canadian businesses confidently enter new markets, reduce financial risk, and grow their business.
When you join our team, you’ll be helping Canadian businesses learn the endless possibilities that open to them through export and help bring their vision, passion, and innovation to the world. Your knowledge and expertise will support more than 25,000 Canadian businesses and their customers in as many as 200 markets worldwide. You’ll work amongst the best and brightest in an inclusive, collaborative environment that fosters professional development and success. And you’ll know that you’re making an impact every day – for businesses, for Canada and for the people you work with.
Are you ready to make an impact? Join EDC, recognized as a Top 100 and Top Family-Friendly Employer, as we take on the risk so Canadian businesses can take on the world. #LI-Hybrid
EDC is seeking a team and solution-oriented corporate, commercial lawyer with private equity experience to join its Legal Services division of approximately 27 lawyers who provide a wide range of legal services to the Corporation.
EDC’s Legal Services is a dynamic, client-oriented environment, supporting EDC’s range of activities and services. Legal Services provides legal representation and assistance for all of its product and corporate function.
The successful candidate will become a member of the EDC Legal Services group and specifically the Litigation, Governance, Trade and Operations team which provides legal advice to the Corporation in relation to its core operations. This includes advising the Corporation in various areas of law including namely public procurement, privacy and access to information, compliance, environmental and social governance and financial crimes. The lawyer would also be expected to support and advise other areas within EDC Legal Services, as needed.
Key responsibilities would include the following, but lawyers are expected to handle a broad range of business needs that may not be fully summarized below:
- Involvement in all aspects of EDC’s procurement and vendor management portfolio, from drafting and negotiating commercial agreements to ensuring EDC’s compliance with various applicable legal instruments and treaties
- Identify issues and potential solutions in matters requiring consideration of appropriate risk mitigation measures and corporate perspective and knowledge
- Providing legal advice in various other key areas relating to EDC’s operations such as privacy law, access to information, marketing and compliance
- Provide legal advice on various matters of law pertaining to the activities of EDC, such as EDC's rights and obligations under EDC contracts, interpretation of internal documentation and policies in areas of specialty, advice on authorization and compliance requirements, including interpreting the Export Development Act, the Financial Administration Act and other relevant statutes
- Retain and supervise the services of outside counsel (both foreign and domestic)
- Review and comment on outside counsel's documents and advice
- Proactively support the Corporation, the legal and business teams through collaboration and team work
- Undergraduate degree in Law
- Applicants must be licensed by a Canadian provincial bar and in good standing to practice law as a barrister and solicitor in any Canadian province or territory
- A minimum of 4-7 years of relevant experience having regard to the position described
- Experience providing advice in the area of public procurement
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), including strong drafting skills
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and manage competing priorities
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong creative and critical thinking skills to apply to a variety of complex issues and to provide advanced solutions
- Proactive lawyering and risk mitigation skills acquired in a commercially oriented, dynamic environment
- Strong judgment and decision-making qualities, and collaborative in soliciting the input of others, both within the legal team and outside the team where appropriate
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills to deal with conflicting and complex areas
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Strong planning and project management skills
- Bilingual in both official languages (English & French)
- Experience in Privacy, Access to Information, financial crimes or corporate law
- Experience in the federal public sector and/or advising federal Crown Corporations or other public sector entities
Salary ranges and compensation structure are currently under review. We anticipate updates to be in effect in July 2023.
How to apply Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- $109,700 - $164,500 + performance-based incentive
on www.edc.ca/careers : Jul 28, 2023, 10:59:00 PM
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities via the clear legal job board. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.