At Northland, we’re enablers of change, united by our journey to transform the energy sector into the foundation for a sustainable future.
Since our inception, we’ve been early movers in the energy industry, adopting new initiatives that pave the way for communities across the globe and helping forge their path towards a carbon-neutral landscape.
We’re a different kind of independent power producer. As developers, owners and operators who are at the forefront of the energy transition, we’re uniquely positioned to leave a lasting impact in the regions where we operate. We’ve expanded our business across Canada, the United States, Latin America, Europe and Asia to become a global leader, all by bringing together industry experts to find solutions with an entrepreneurial mindset.
While our work powers communities across the globe, Northland is powered by our people.
What You’ll Do
Working closely with the Chief Legal Officer, you will form a centre of excellence for construction and operations/maintenance for renewable power projects in Europe, Canada, USA, Latin America and Asia. In that role, you will help develop “the Northland way” for construction contracts, craft templates and best practices, conduct training, participate on contracts committees for large project joint ventures, and provide support to project teams through the execution phase of projects.
- Identify core legal and commercial issues of importance to Northland Power and work closely with senior business unit management and project execution teams to prepare negotiation positions and advocate those positions with counter-parties
- Advise on RFPs
- Draft and negotiate EPC agreements and direct supplier/contractor agreements
- Draft and negotiate O&M contracts
- Manage various project-related claims at different stages of the dispute resolution process, including dispute resolution board, adjudication, court and/or arbitration proceedings, strategize with project teams and instruct external counsel
- Build strong partnerships and work collaboratively with senior executives, external counsel, consultants and other stakeholders
- Develop and conduct internal training sessions
- Foster and promote a work environment that is productive, collaborative, inclusive and diverse with a team culture of integrity, professionalism and excellence.
Who You Are
- Collaborative: You have an exceptional ability to develop positive relationships internally and externally, able to work well with a diverse array of people from different backgrounds and areas of expertise
- Results-Oriented: You are business-minded, have a proven ability to think strategically, and proactively assess risks to help Northland achieve optimal results in negotiations and disputes
- A strong communicator: You have excellent verbal and written communication skills and are able to translate complex information into clear, concise and insightful reports.
- Flexible: You are equally comfortable operating at the micro and macro levels with the innate ability to know which level is needed at what time. You are agile in your approach to be successful in handling multiple projects and can adjust your working hours as required to meet deadlines.
- Diligent: You have solid attention to detail, and you follow up with others when needed to ensure outstanding information or actions are complete.
- Professional: You consistently exercise sound judgment and have a high degree of professional integrity.
Qualifications And Experience
- 5+ years’ experience in Construction Law, both with front-end (solicitor) work on large, complex projects (including insurance and bonding) and with claims/disputes
- License to practice law in good standing in your jurisdiction
- International perspective (must have experience with projects outside your home jurisdiction)
- Experience with FIDIC contracts an asset
- Experience with renewable power projects an asset
- Fluency in Spanish, German, or East Asian languages would be considered an asset
This document is a guide. The duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the jobs as described herein are not inclusive and are subject to change.
Northland Power is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a fair, inclusive and accessible environment. As part of our commitment we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify a member of the HR Department.