We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What you’ll be doing
The Senior Counsel, Transactions will collaborate with our team of legal professionals within the Legal Department, and partner with executives and senior management across our bank, to provide legal and related transactional support in connection with mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, reorganizations and other transactions that are strategically important to CIBC and our clients. Utilizing strong independent judgment, broad-based legal knowledge, and a high level of professionalism, the Senior Counsel, Transactions will proactively work with our lines of business and functional areas, including our executive and senior leadership, to execute complex and time-sensitive projects while mitigating potential legal risks.
How You’ll Succeed
- Leadership - Take a leadership role in the negotiation of strategic projects and initiatives by providing proactive legal advice, identifying potential legal and reputational risks, and developing and proposing risk mitigation strategies. Keep apprised of legal developments and applicable legislation and case law, bring such developments to the attention of the Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Transactions, Privacy & Law Clerks, and take a lead role in, or oversee, the identification and assessment of any impact such developments may have on CIBC.
- Judgment & collaboration - Work in close collaboration with colleagues in the Legal Department, as appropriate, to execute complex and time-sensitive projects. Partner with executives and senior management of the business and members of other functional groups and lines of business in order to provide legal and related transactional support for CIBC’s strategic initiatives, including those led by the bank’s Corporate Development group. Work closely with external legal counsel for specific material assignments.
- Business mindset - Review, draft, and negotiate complex and sensitive legal documents and discuss material issues with the Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Transactions, Privacy & Law Clerks, as applicable. Use strong judgment and know when to escalate material legal and/or reputational issues in a timely manner. As an employee of CIBC, comply with all applicable CIBC policies, standards, guidelines and control requirements.
Who You Are
- You can demonstrate a minimum of 7 years of experience in business law, including progressive and extensive experience in mergers & acquisitions and private equity.
- You’re a certified professional. The successful candidate must have been called to the Bar in Ontario.
- You act like an owner. You thrive when you're empowered to take the lead, go above and beyond, and deliver results.
- You look beyond the moment. You make decisions and take actions that will make a difference today and tomorrow. You proactively seek new opportunities to define what's possible.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, your goals are a priority. We start with your strengths and ambitions as an employee and strive to create opportunities to tap into your potential. We aspire to give you a career, rather than just a paycheck.
- We work to recognize you in meaningful, personalized ways including a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, a health benefits program, defined benefit pension plan, an employee share purchase plan and MomentMakers, our social, points-based recognition program.
- Our spaces and technological toolkit will make it simple to bring together great minds to create innovative solutions that make a difference for our clients.
- We cultivate a culture where you can express your ambition through initiatives like Purpose Day; a paid day off dedicated for you to use to invest in your growth and development.
What You Need To Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation, please contact Mailbox.firstname.lastname@example.org
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit.